Can County destroy flocks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ThaiDye, Sep 4, 2013.

1. ThaiDye

ThaiDye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    So Cal
    I have a sick chicken that I took to the vet. She has some sort of CRD but not sure which one. Took her to the vet & the vet informed the County Dept of Public Health (Los Angeles). The County wants to get samples to test for diseases. I have no problem with that because I really want to know what this disease is that has been plaguing my flock for months off & on, plus the testing is free. But my neighbor is saying they will come & destroy all the chickens. He runs a chicken ranch & there are around 1000 chickens here (his and others who rent space here).

Now my dilemma is, do I proceed with the testing? I thought they can only destroy for Exotic Newcastle's Disease or Avian Influenza, but I've only raised chooks for a year & a half whereas my neighbor has done this for many years. I do not want to be responsible for the destruction of all the chickens here. Please help.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Destruction of flocks by Authorities will only happen if there is potential of the disease (whatever it is) to other flocks of birds, whether they are wild birds or other chickens.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by