Can cross beak be prevented?

I doubt that it can be prevented - believe that it is hereditary in nature. There was a thread where someone was trying to correct the condition with some degree of success, but I can not locate this thread.

Serious hatch defects like cross beak, and foot deformities are highly inheritable. The truth is that if you treat these deformities then you may well be setting yourself up for many, many more deformed chicks. But then again there are many chicken breeds or strains that began life as freaks of nature and some well meaning chicken breeder latched on to this freak of nature and perpetuated it.

My Agri vet says it is hereditary and cases are getting more worse and more often than in years past. Probably due to hatchery processes and no genetic culling. Case in point. Our Slappy is a hatchery chick and the worse cross beak case our vet has seen to date! It has not only affected her beak but her body and internal organs as a whole. We were told to cull her but we have no gander and there is no chance of her breeding. We are letting her live out her life a best she can. She is 2 months old but her whole head seems to lean to the left and her right foot is also deformed with tumor type growths.
0629181834k.jpg
0629181834j.jpg
0629181834j.jpg

My Agri vet says it is hereditary and cases are getting more worse and more often than in years past. Probably due to hatchery processes and no genetic culling. Case in point. Our Slappy is a hatchery chick and the worse cross beak case our vet has seen to date! It has not only affected her beak but her body and internal organs as a whole. We were told to cull her but we have no gander and there is no chance of her breeding. We are letting her live out her life a best she can. She is 2 months old but her whole head seems to lean to the left and her right foot is also deformed with tumor type growths. View attachment 1473912 View attachment 1473913 View attachment 1473913
I had one that had very bad cross beak. It was a cockerel so I raised it up to processing time. It had bone deformities too.

I did read a study that found that cross beak was not passed down. The conclusion was that it was a genetic mutation not a genetic code change.

I would not breed them though just to be safe.

1F0FDBA7-61DC-453E-8F72-8FCCBABE33CC.jpeg
I had one that had very bad cross beak. It was a cockerel so I raised it up to processing time. It had bone deformities too.

I did read a study that found that cross beak was not passed down. The conclusion was that it was a genetic mutation not a genetic code change.

I would not breed them though just to be safe.
Ok she is 2 months old and just noticed it can it be trimmed still or not

Back
Top Bottom