can day old chicks get mites PIcs added post #4

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AhBee01, Apr 14, 2009.

1. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    I have 2 day old chicks, I noticed something on theit heads this morning it is all over and very close they are tiny ovals and seem stuck into the skin. I didn't wasnt to try to pull it out in case it was part of the feather shaft or something. I never noticed this before. They are with momma now, but she is still on a few eggs that need to hatch, or I would snatch her out and see if I can see anything on her!
    I will try to post a pic!
    TIA
    Brenda

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I hope someone answers this post. I really want to know the answer also!! See that you really are part of the thread killer group!! JK [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I suppose if momma has mites the babies would pick them up pretty fast. Mites can kill an adult chicken given enough time. They could likely be devastating to a chick.

4. AhBee01

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Here are the pics! I think it's lice and if so what should I do?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Yikes, you need to act, but can poison harm such a young critter?
    Are they in a brooder? Are they in with the hen?

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    ok Im itching looking at that!

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Oh, they are in w/mom! I'd try to pick off all you can. Or, you might want to brood them w/o mom... Perhaps you could bathe each chick. I dunno!

8. AhBee01

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Yes the are in a brooder coop with the Mom, I don't want to take them from her she has worked hard to have these chicks. One egg is pipped and 2 more are left one for sure is dead in the egg, I think the other one died as well. But want to give it a chance just in case.
    What should I use? We have seven, could I do that with the Mom and de with the babies, I want the the newest chick to make it.
    I "m so freaking out.

9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    They might be a bit young for the chemicals. Perhaps you can pick them off and then dust mom and the babies with DE.

10. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We had the same thing happen. Our hen had been broody twice in a row and didn't get lice/mite treatment. Well when the chicks hatched, they got lice or mites from her. I had been using Garden & Poultry Dust on my girls (TSC) but was worried it would harm the chicks. I called the poison control 800# on the container to see if it would be harmful, which they did not know. The person I spoke to then transfered me to the department in charge of the chemical makeup of the product. I had to leave a message but he called me back right away and told me that it is completely safe to use on 1 day old chicks. Sorry if I seem long winded, I just wanted you to know I had done my research before answering your question. The chicks are mite/lice free and are now a month old! Hope this helps.
    ETA: I was told that Sevin is too harsh for chicks less than a month old, be careful.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by