Can day old Gold Laced Wyandottes be sexed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gg706, Feb 21, 2013.

1. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I got 2 straight run Gold Laced Wyandotte chicks from Tsc last night. I wanted to attempt to feather sex them and pick out 2 females, however they would not let me do that. I noticed some chicks had brighter butt stripes and chicks with lighter more dull butt stripes. So I told her to give me 2 of the dull colored butt stripe chicks. So I guess my question is if color of the butt stripes is an indicator of sex of the chicks.

2. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    No, stripes don't matter.

For feather checking, if the wing feathers are even=rooster, uneven=pullet. It's not always correct and you have to do it within the first 1-3 days.

1 person likes this.
  3. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    Thank You for the reply. I looked at the wings as soon as I got them home.....they were even. Not sure how old they were probably 3 days or more. Hopefully they were too old to sex them that way...
    OR I have roosters! [​IMG]

I knew I should have stayed away from that bin!
    I am going to try not to get too attached to them, as I already have a fine rooster so all others will have to go!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  4. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    BTW Your Wyandottes are GORGEOUS! I am quickly becoming a Wyandotte fan! Gonna have to get some of your chicks at some point!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree about the beauty of Wyandottes! Sometimes I like my GLW the best, other days it's the SLW! Hope you have at least one hen!

6. Nickeyo

Nickeyo Chillin' With My Peeps

roosters have lighter heads than the pullets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by