Can day old Marans be color sexed??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HenThymes, Dec 14, 2010.

1. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Hi, I hatched a beautiful brood of Marans today! [​IMG] This is my first experience with Marans and trying to learn.. There were eggs from both gold and silver cuckoos, I hatched 10 out of 11 (shipped eggs). I got 8 blacks, two are solid on top, six have a white/silver spot on the top of their heads. I have one brown and one yellow with silver/gray mixed in. Some chicks hatched feather legged and others clean, so I do know that I have French and English. I read somewhere that you can tell males from female on blacks as pullets will be a darker black, other than that I am clueless. Any help would be great! [​IMG]

Picture of most, several still in the bator drying (1 bantam orp in pic)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  2. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    They silver cuckoos - Males large white spot on head. Females- More like a stripe or very little on head to none.

3. HenThymes

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:So that means I ended up with 6 boys and 2 girls in the silvers!?! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    At least Marans are a good tasting bird, just take the poorer specimens of the roos and feed them with butchering in mind. If that won't work for you, hope you can rehome them.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:In general, the rule is that a female has a good white spot, not strip. A male has a much larger white spot that expands to the neck.

I see a bunch of females, but to be sure - Let them dry out, THEN take a look at them.

6. HenThymes

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:In general, the rule is that a female has a good white spot, not strip. A male has a much larger white spot that expands to the neck.

I see a bunch of females, but to be sure - Let them dry out, THEN take a look at them.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by