Can dead ticks from my Front Line treated, outdoor dogs harm my Guinea Fowl when they eat them?

BennieAnTheJets

Crowing
7 Years
Mar 4, 2016
Virginia, USA
Hi everyone,

I posted this under "diseases" in the chicken category as well because it is so important to me, and I am hoping this way it will be sure to be seen by both chicken and Guinea savvy people. Thank you for allowing me to do this!

I just read 130 posts on a Front Line string were some folks treat their chickens with Front Line (fipronil) which is supposed to be highly toxic to galliformes (information found on wiki page on fipronil or by googling it).

Did any of you use fipronil (Front Line) on your Guinea Fowl???

Did they survive it?

We got two life stock guardian dogs to protect our Guineas from coyotes and raccoons, foxes, etc. and I just removed 8 lone star ticks from one of the dog's bellies. Alarming!

We need to get the dogs on tick protection ASAP, but I am worried about our beloved Guineas: they are with us because ticks are their favorite diet and if poisoned ticks drop off the dogs (who live outside with our birds) I am afraid the Guineas may eat those ticks and get poisoned.

What is your experience / opinion?

Does anyone have dogs living with Guinea Fowl with the dogs wearing Front Line or have you treated any Guineas with Front Line, and if so, how are they doing???

Any experiences / stories / accounts much appreciated!

Thanks, Bennie

I really can't say. I prefer to avoid fipronil, personally, just because of the environmental impacts alone. When we moved here the ticks were horrible since we are surround by woods and crop fields and that is one reason we got guineas. I was using generic Advantix from tractor supply but I've also used Hartz Ultra Guard Pro in a pinch and another that I got from Ollies at one point (I'll have to look to see which it is). With those three I have not had an issue (with ticks or with my guineas randomly dropping dead). However, I think they are less likely to pick up dead ticks than living ones. Sometimes mine just lay out in the grass and occasionally snatch something up, so I assume they are waiting for crawling things to present themselves.

Back
Top Bottom