Can Diamond Doves eat meat?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by MageofMist, Dec 15, 2017.

1. MageofMist

MageofMist Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    I have a male diamond dove who is having an identity crisis and thinks he is a quail, he snuggled with them last night and today he surprised me. I was treating the quail with some sausage, and the dove ran over... Literally ran over, to the quail feeding ball and gave it a peck too! AND he ate it!

I have never heard of diamond doves eating meat before, but Lulu seemed to have enjoyed it and ate more by snatching bits from the quails beaks. I am wondering if this oddity will possibly harm him?

biophiliac likes this.
  2. chickencheeper

chickencheeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2017
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    What kind of meat?

3. MageofMist

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    It was a pork sausage with some herbs and spices, I normally treat the quails with it during my breakfast, but this time the dove joined in.

biophiliac likes this.
  4. chickencheeper

Jun 4, 2017
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    It should be fine as long as there wasn’t any chemicals in it(you might wanna check the package)

MageofMist likes this.
  5. MageofMist

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    There's no harmful chemicals in it, or else I'd not even give it to the quail. I was just worried as I never heard of a diamond dove eating meat before and thought they were mainly herbivores. :p

6. chickencheeper

Jun 4, 2017
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Did you know that mice, chipmunks, voles, etc, will eat carrion in the wild? Also doves are omnivores(insects)

7. MageofMist

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    I knew they ate insects (though mine never shown any interest in any bugs I offered him) but the fact he ate some sausage still surprised me. XD My dove is normally a very picky eater, only eating plant-based stuff, and even then he wanted specific treats cut or offered in a specific way.

biophiliac likes this.
  8. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Hi. I would stop giving sausages to your birds. Human food is no good for them. Those sausages will have too much fat and salt in them and will be very unhealthy for the birds.

To treat your quails you can use mealworms, crickets, waxworms or other insects. Even crushed up hard boiled egg is very nutritious and healthy for them.

Your dove should not be eating meat! Its digestive system is for grains. However, the egg would be OK for it when it is growing new feathers or if you get a mate for it and breed from it.. as the extra protein is very good for the chicks and making eggs!

You might also like to try soaked seed, or sprouting seeds for yours birds. They are high in protein and easy for you birds to digest... and great as treats too.

Again, I advise you strongly not to feed sausage meat to your birds.

biophiliac likes this.
  9. MageofMist

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    It isn't a very common treat for them, and mealworms are also very fatty and so they are an occasional treat too, though the dove never had any interest in the mealworms, even the dried and crushed ones. The quails love meat though and have never had any issues regarding the bits I offer them every now and then, and I guess they got him curious enough to try some himself.

He does however enjoy Niger sprouts which I treat them with often with millet sprouts, though he has no interest in millet sprouts which the quails adore, he also shows very little interest in most vegetables and fruits and just tosses them out of his bowl. He is a very picky fellow.

biophiliac likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by