Can diamond doves from a pet store be tamed?

ElisaDove81

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2019
How hard is it to tame a diamond dove purchased from a pet store (Petsmart etc.)? The only place I can find one around where I live is at a pet store. Has anyone ever had any luck taming a diamond dove that wasn't already tame when they got it?

Although I don't have experience with Diamond Doves in particular, my experience with parrots has taught me that you can tame any bird with a good amount of patience and treats. Maybe a few weeks?

Although I don't have experience with Diamond Doves in particular, my experience with parrots has taught me that you can tame any bird with a good amount of patience and treats. Maybe a few weeks?

Oh that is good to hear, what type of bird did you have that you were able to tame? Also, is Petsmart a bad place to buy a bird from? I heard they get their animals from bird/animal mills...is this true?

I currently have 2 Green-cheeked Conures but I had a pair of Peach-faced Lovebirds that i gradually was able to handle through the use of treats, etc. I would not personally buy from PetSmart, I have also heard the same thing. I would suggest looking for a little while into breeders in your area, if possible.

Nope. Some might be more tractable, but I had no luck at all hand-training diamond doves. I bred them for a short while, and even taking chicks and holding them for long periods to socialize them, they became wild and untame around 6 weeks of age.

They are not the best cage birds... timid, and easily startled. Good as an ornamental pet in an aviary but not so much for an interactive cage bird.

Nope. Some might be more tractable, but I had no luck at all hand-training diamond doves. I bred them for a short while, and even taking chicks and holding them for long periods to socialize them, they became wild and untame around 6 weeks of age.

They are not the best cage birds... timid, and easily startled. Good as an ornamental pet in an aviary but not so much for an interactive cage bird.

oh so even the hand fed ones were wild when older?

I didn't hand-feed but I did socialize heavily.
By six weeks, you couldn't tell, they were as fearful of handling as the adults.

aww thats too bad, maybe they are just that type of bird. I still love them though even if they are like that, but I guess if you want a more interactive bird probably choose a budgie or similar

Back
Top Bottom