Can/do Chicks eat watermelon and rinds?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by okiemommy, Jun 19, 2008.

1. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    Hi I have watermelon and a lot of rinds from a watermelon that I cut up today and my chicks are about 5 weeks old. Can you tell me if they can eat watermelon and the rinds (sp?) I don't want to feed it to them if it will hurt them, though I can't imagine it could. But I want to be sure. Thanks!!

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

My chickens love watermelon. They eat the flesh and seeds - everything except a paper thin piece of the green rind. It is a great treat on a hot day!

3. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    oh yay! Great! Watermelon it is! Thanks so much for replying! I really appreciate it!

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    yes at 5wks they love eating water melon an the rinds.but be aware that water melon will give them runny poo.so dont panic if you see that.

1 person likes this.
  5. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    ok thanks! That's good to know!

I put it in with them at first and they just looked at in and ran away lol So I just left it in there, and then came back later and they had eaten it. Wish I hadn't missed it [​IMG]

6. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  7. kristihilmoe

kristihilmoe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    [​IMG]

My husband put his leftover watermelon slice in with my 5-6 week old chickens, and this is what was left!

8. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Our chickens have to fight the goats and donkeys for the watermellon, they all love it. [​IMG]

9. KatieV

KatieV Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Watermelon is my chickens favorite treat! They LOVE it! I just cut some up to give to them tomorrow. [​IMG]

10. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:Mine too. The chicks are almost 6 wks old now...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by