Can Dog People Raise Chicks/Chickens Successfully?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Uncle Marc, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Uncle Marc

Uncle Marc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Poplar Grove Kentucky
    We are dog people. We have three. A Chihuahua, a Jack Russell and a German Shepard. The Jack Russell is a unique pet in the terrier world. She is a lap dog, totally controlled and very intuitive. I credit this to my wife "The Dog Whisperer" who is amazing with pets.

The Chihuahua is old and losing her sight.

The German Shepard turns 10 at Christmas, survived being hit by a car and is crippled but still a sweetie.

Do I need any special advice about bringing chicks home, or just the obvious: "Don't let the dogs eat the chicks"?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    It is possible to "combine" your herd/flock. But you always run the risk the dogs like the sound of the new squeaky toy.

So: Don't let the dogs eat the chickens.

3. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    NEVER leave your chicks alone with dogs no matter how calm your dogs are around them. our huskey went 4 months when we started chickens. she would go in the coop with us and watch the birds free range. one day she snapped and killed our polish. since then over the 6 years she has killed around 20. things we have learned
    -dont trust the dog!!!
    -dont trust dog crates to contain birds (yes even the metal ones)
    -if you must seperate birds put their cage up VERY high
    once they kill one they never forget it. border collies and other herding/livestock breeds tend to do pretty good thoe but ur jack russel is a hunting dog dont forget! but right now we have 4 dogs, husky, cocker, cockapoo plus foster dogs havent had bird die in 1 1/2 years

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    get ready for the time of your life. I have been strictly dog owner/person my entire 60 years and I was shocked at how I took to it and it took a hold of me. Just be and get ready for the brooder box or a coop and use a lot of common sense and this site with this fine community.

Welcome to the BYC [​IMG]

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I have a bird dog breed that's never hunted and while he wouldn't hesitate to run off a coyote or raccoon, he couldn't care less about the chickens. He's very human-focused. So, my biggest challenge is simply watching to be sure he doesn't accidentally trample one while fetching because his full concentration is on the dummy. I introduced him to the chicks with stern instructions that those were "mine" and "leave it". His behavior is very predictable -- he's not a young pup.

So, it's possible but it also only takes a second and a small misunderstanding to result in a sad situation. Proceed with caution.

6. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Quote:You already hit on the number one piece of advice.

I have been a dog person my whole life (many decades), always at least one and as many as six. My current pack consists of three border collies and a great dane.

I adore my dogs and am smitten with my chickens. I would never trust them together. The chicks were brooded behind a door from the dogs. Their coop/pen is secure from the dogs and I don't open the door to their run without being aware of where my dogs are standing. I wouldn't dream of free-ranging the chickens around the dogs.

Border collies have an extremely high prey instinct, that's all herding is, is controlled pack hunting. They could snap them up before I could blink. They herd by nipping at the sheep. Emma, my big doofus of a dane would pounce on a chicken to play.

It's just not worth my nerves or the stress on the birds.

But with care, your birds will be fine and still have your dogs.

Deb

7. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    I had a Rat Terrier that was a lap dog but he did not have the Terrier drive that most Terrier's do so he never tried to chase or attack the Hens, also I have 2 Border Collie's and I completly trust them with the Hens. Just today one of my BC saved a hen that was attacked.

8. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    So far so good at our house, we raise Akitas. It's all about management here, making sure dogs are all contained in kennels or house before letting chickens out of their yard and into the rest of the yard. Counting heads as I close them in their yard to make sure all are safe before we let dogs out. Chicken yard is dog and predator resistant. The dogs are not left unsupervised in the yard for long periods of time (but we did that before chickens). Don't get me wrong, if given the chance just about any of mine would snatch a chicken, but they have learned (or all but two have) to essentially ignore them, which is what I wanted. I had no dreams of them co-habitating - lol! The chickens have even taken to crowding and hanging out near the one boy's kennel if something scary goes over head. They run under the pavilion covering the dog kennels, and huddle under the patio furniture next to his kennel. He doesn't mind, unless I come out, then I think he seems embarrassed to be in the company of the chickens and barks and scares them off [​IMG] Two of them still try to stalk the chickens through the fence, but are getting better about being called off. Wish I could have gotten a picture, I was working from home, had the chickens loose in the yard, my oldest Akita (almost 9, super laid back, very little prey drive) in the house with me. Hear a funny noise at the back door, go to check it out, and there are all the chickens, hanging out on the step, pecking at the door and looking at my boy through the screen. There is my boy, sitting there looking back, it was hysterical! My bantam rooster has grand ideas that he is protecting "his" girls from the dogs and that is entertaining to watch too [​IMG]

9. cajun Rabbit

cajun Rabbit Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    we have dogs as well.... hunt'in dogs (choc labs and a beagle) I wouldn't trust them just yet (chicks are new to our homestead) but just like we did with introducing the cat I would give verbal command "Friend" while petting chickens and kept curious dogs away. after a while the dogs loose interest in the new creature and move on.... That said, our chicks are in a tractor.... so they are not able to be chased yet if our 150 pound lab wanted IN, he could get in.

It comes down to training. If you put the effort in, you might get the result.

10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Only if your prepared yourself with the worst thing that could happen. Me I don't say friend I have said NO and AWAY and do not let there paths cross. I just lock my Rhodesian and Lab in the house when working with the chicks or have let them out. Sorry I do not agree. It works until 1 day it does not and then there usually is a tragedy unfortunately. Live and learn. JMHO for me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by