1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can Domestic Duck be Cooked in Brown N Bag???

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by pirtykitty, Jan 1, 2011.

1. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I purchased a domestic duck at the grocery store last month and want to cook it today for my son's for our Christmas together.. Can I season it and cook in brown n bag like I would a turkey??
    I can't beleive I bought it.. Hubby had been teasing me about my ducks and wondering how they would taste.. I informed him that we weren't going to eat my ducks.. I saw them at store a few days later and bought one..
    Thank you for you help

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Yes, you should be able to cook the duck in the bag.

Good luck!

3. pirtykitty

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Thank you.. I have it seasoned and stuffed with new potatoes and placed in brown bag in fridge so the seasonings will set in.. Should I cook breast up or down???

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    somebody answer 'cause I'm going to try it tonight too! [​IMG]

5. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

im not sure you would want to cook it in a bag... ducks have A LOT of fat in them and if it were me, I would put it in a rack in a roasting pan to hold it up out of the fat..I actually would have boiled it briefly and then seared it too... but since you already have it stuffed. Thats my opinion anyway. Good luck

6. pirtykitty

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Drats I don't have a rack to put it on.. and already stuck in oven in the bag.. I put it breast up and pierced the skin in some places after rubbing with butter, onion powder, garlic powder and salt and pepper.I may cook in bag for a little while then take out of bag and finish cooking in the pan.. also drain the drippings . I'd love to make gravy with the drippings.

7. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

let us know how it turns out, it may be fine... and if I had duck fat... Id fry some home cut french fries in it [​IMG]

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    after doing some reading I am going with out the bag; steaming first then baking then browning . . . we'll know in an hour or so!

9. pirtykitty

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I found out why you shouldn't use brown n bag. LOL.. It stuck to the bag.. pulled the skin off in places and one drumstick.. Sure tasted good.. I took out of bag and had heck of a time getting it out.. drained jucies and placed back in pan and browned. Made gravy with the drippings. had to use a little chicken stock to go with it but was still good..

Will have go get a rack to place on next time ..
    Got teased by sons thinking it was one of my ducks.. LOL.. I promptly told them it was from grocery and wasn't going to eat my ducks cause then I wouldn't get eggs from them.. Plus they are a part of the family..

10. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Saw this one too late to chime in - yeah a duck has a whole lotta fat on it, but done up right you got some good eating. I remember watching a FOOD 911 Tyler Florence show where he helped a guy make duck.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...wn-steamed-and-roasted-duck-recipe/index.html
    Real good stuff.

Here's a Ina Paarman recipe video, she's pretty good

Next time the boys tease you about your cooking tell them BigMike gave you a great recipe for Naughty Child Pie... hopefully they get the msg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by