Can doves look like baby chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by [email protected], Nov 8, 2011.

1. leghornlover@123

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    Thats what my title says, also if i get a dove a few motns old could it still imprint on me and can they hatch chicken eggs if so how many

2. GrannysRoost

GrannysRoost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Casa Grande
    [email protected] :

Thats what my title says, also if i get a dove a few motns old could it still imprint on me and can they hatch chicken eggs if so how many

What kind of dove? how big...I really doubt it, granddaughter brought in a dove last night that got through the pen netting....she is letting it loose tomorrow. so not cool flopping in the cage and I cannot imagine this little one sitting on a silkie egg, much more LF....​

3. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    I've raised doves... and no , I do not think it would or could sit on a chicken egg.
    A doves egg is about the size of a pecan nut, or like the malted easter candy eggs. Not very big.

4. leghornlover@123

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    Quote:What kind of dove? how big...I really doubt it, granddaughter brought in a dove last night that got through the pen netting....she is letting it loose tomorrow. so not cool flopping in the cage and I cannot imagine this little one sitting on a silkie egg, much more LF....

A dimond dove

5. leghornlover@123

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    Can they imprint on you after sveral motns

6. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    [email protected] :

Can they imprint on you after sveral motns

No, imprinting is when the first thing they see is you! A diamond dove would be far too small to brood chicken eggs, the length of gestation is different so it could give up and it wouldn't be able to brood chicks, different style of parental care/feed.

Now, could it get used to you and tame down, maybe. It all depends on the dove and your level of patience.

Good luck, they are a pretty little bird.

Deb​

7. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    [email protected] :

Quote:What kind of dove? how big...I really doubt it, granddaughter brought in a dove last night that got through the pen netting....she is letting it loose tomorrow. so not cool flopping in the cage and I cannot imagine this little one sitting on a silkie egg, much more LF....

A dimond dove​

No,
    A diamond dove would never work.

And as far as taming , chances are rare unless it is in your care from the time it hatches.

If you want a tame dove for a pet, Ring neck doves are the best. But still they could not hatch a chicken egg.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't know about diamonds specifically, but ringneck doves can bond with you even if they are not babies. They probably could hatch one or two small chicken eggs but they couldn't raise a chick. Baby doves eat differently than baby chicks do, the parents would kill the baby chicks by trying to feed them.

9. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Quote:x-2 on that... cva34

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by