Can dreams ever come true?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Gracethechick, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Gracethechick

Gracethechick Songster

Mar 28, 2019
    South Carolina
    I'm a relatively young girl who is in foster care ( due to parent’s issues, mostly stepdad )and I don’t get allowance, my foster parents finally agreed to let me get some chicks this year if I could get all the supplies for the chicks, they said they'll only help with buying feed. The problem is I don't get allowance for the chores around the house, and the cost of a coop and or building a coop and the supplies is relatively expensive for someone who doesn't get allowance( or in other words I don’t get any help most of the time when I would like to get something). I've been saving everything I get just for these chicks, and they’re home. My dream is to get me some adorable baby chicks this year. It would be my dream come true for me to be blessed with the chance to own some baby chicks and raise them and get the eggs from the hens. I would love them and care for them for all their lives I plan to get 5-10 of them(bantams). The day I get enough for the supplies would be the best day of my life and I would be very thankful and appreciative of anyone and everyone who could help me. Thank you all and I hope everyone has a great day. :)
    But I’m starting to feel like this isn’t gonna happen, due to being unsuccessful so far.

2. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Stylin’ and Profilin’

May 4, 2014
    Newberry, Indiana
    Before anyone gets into this please remove your age.

3. Gracethechick

Gracethechick Songster

Mar 28, 2019
    South Carolina
    Ok

4. BuffOrps32

BuffOrps32 Free Ranging

Nov 26, 2018
    Elementclan
    It will happen, in time. I'm sure someone here has supplies extra they can ship. I don't have anything now but just wait. Dreams come true, mine did and yours will to.

5. Gracethechick

Gracethechick Songster

Mar 28, 2019
    South Carolina
    Thank you

6. A_Fowl_Guy

May 4, 2014
    Newberry, Indiana
    Ok now the big spiel: chickens are a big responsibility. It’s wonderful that you want to raise animals and are willing to take this responsibility. They are time consuming and the cost is high if you cannot offset with selling eggs. If you are really dead set on chicks, I suggest getting a small job like cutting grass. That way you can save for the chicks. How many were you planning on?

7. Gracethechick

Gracethechick Songster

Mar 28, 2019
    South Carolina
    I would like to get somewhere between 5-10 but 7 is what I’m thinking and they’ll be bantams, I raised chicks in the past, 18+ of them, but that was before I got pulled from my mom and put into foster care

8. A_Fowl_Guy

May 4, 2014
    Newberry, Indiana
    So let’s do the cost! 7 chicks at $4 a piece (local prices here) is $28. Plus cost of feed ($10.99 local here) per month. You can build a coop cheaper than buying a prefab coop using recycled wood that I’m sure some local grocery store will donate pallets. Then you need a feeder and waterer for the chicks and ones for adult chickens.
    Initial start up cost is probably a conservative $100 while upkeep will be $12-20$ a month. It is very do able!

9. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    Look on craigslist or other local websites like that to look for coops and other supplies.

If you get a certain breed of bantam and breed them you can sell hatching eggs and make money off them once you purchase them and they start laying you'll have a ongoing income

10. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    You could also bake homemade goodies such as bread, cookies, pies or other pastries and sell them to neighbors or have a bake sale.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: