can ducklings be added in with older chickens

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mrbratt2u, Apr 20, 2012.

1. mrbratt2u

mrbratt2u New Egg

Apr 2, 2010
    My daughter wants to get a couple of baby ducks, We have 14 chickens (13 hens/ 1 rooster). Our chickens are 2 years old. Can the ducks be safely added and at what age can I put them together. Thank You for any help.

2. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    With my experience No. That's just what I've dealt with. Others have probably had positive outcomes. Especially when they're raised together. But if I put my ducklings in with the chickens right now they would be tortured. I have a really mean chicken. :) and my babies are... .9 week old.

I'm sure someone will come along and give you a positive story though.. I've read a few, just never had any luck with combining the two.

3. callahanfarmgirl

callahanfarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Callahan
    I have 9 hens & 1 rooster, all a yr old. I have recently added 4 ducklings & everything is going great!!! I live in Fl so it was warm enough to were I kept them in a "day pen" I threw together in the middle of the yard to protect them from predators & then at night I would put them in a dog crate inside the coop. They are now about 9 weeks old and everyone free ranges together & puts themselves up in the coop at night!!!

4. mrbratt2u

mrbratt2u New Egg

Apr 2, 2010
    What kind of ducks are good to get? We wantto get some that are going to be friendly and good egg layers.

5. callahanfarmgirl

callahanfarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Callahan
    I am too new to ducks to answer those questions!!! The 4 I have are my first. Hopefully someone else will chime in & help you out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by