Can ducklings be raised by a Silkie Chicken?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by The Pinto Pony, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The Pinto Pony

The Pinto Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    Indiana
    Hello everyone! It's been a few months since I've got on here, well I'm back! lol

I did something really dumb today. I was putting all of my birds in the shed for the night, usually I collect the eggs at that time of day. I collected my Pekin duck's egg first then my Silkie chicken's. My Silkie have been somewhat broody for the past few week(?)s so I though "Hmm, I wonder what would happen if I gave her Quackquack's egg?". Well, she took it and put it in her nest. By that time I thought of Cute little fuzzy ducklings waddling around and just the overall cuteness of baby ducks. So I went into the house and got the other five duck eggs from my fridge, they were originally for blown eggs but ya know whatever.

Do you think this is a good idea? I mean it's been around 40-60 degrees here in Indiana for this past month and the weather looks promising. All of my Pekin eggs usually are fertile. Also they'd hatch right after X-Mas and like only a day or two before my Birthday so I'm stuck [​IMG]!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have raised many ducklings under chicken hens. If your hen has been broody for several weeks, she will now have to go another 4 weeks before the duck eggs hatch. That may be too much for her body to handle. Brooding can be very debilitating.

3. The Pinto Pony

The Pinto Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    Indiana
    Thanks! She haven't been full on broody so hopefully its not to much of a strain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by