Can ducks and turkeys eggs be incubated together?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by momma's chickens, Apr 19, 2009.

1. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    HI I am getting some turkey eggs from a friend and was wondering if I can incubate some duck eggs at the same time. Will they need different humidities at hatching time? Thanks!

2. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, I just did this! Everybody incubated just fine and the turkeys were my main priority but apparently my humidity was too high and I killed most of my baby turks. Of course it was perfect for the ducks and every single one of them hatched just fine. I tend to keep my humidity a little higher because I live in the high desert but as I've discovered that's a no-no with turkeys. Anyway, I had humidity set in the 70s and spikes in the very low 80s. This time I'm still incubating them together but they'll be hatching in different incubators so I can keep the humidity lower for the turks and higher for the ducks and geese.

3. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Thank you so much for your answer. The blue slate turkeys are my first and most important concern. I was going to hatch some ducks for somebody for $1 per duck but now I will not be doing this. The turkeys are what I truly care about.

4. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I was in shock and surprised but anything can happen. For a while, my turkeys, duck, and geese were all sharing one big nest. Then, when it came time to start setting they all started fighting. So, I separated the eggs and showed them which nest was whos. Well, I must have not noticed one turkey egg in the mallard ducks nest and she hatched it. That was the only successful turkey egg that hatched. I don't know why, but the turkey didn't hatch the rest of her eggs. I am just happy to have our lil baby...LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by