Can ducks be kept with chickens and question on duck noise level

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fiddleblue, Jan 5, 2014.

1. fiddleblue

fiddleblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    I have kept chickens for several years, and was wondering if it is possible to keep a duck in the coop with the chickens. Are they able to live together? Also, (if they can), I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what to expect regarding duck noise level...the coop is pretty close to a bedroom in the house and I wouldn't want someone to be hearing loud quack quacks all day. If ducks can't live with chickens, are there any other domestic fowl that can live with chickens? Eg, pheasants?

2. fiddleblue

Jul 19, 2009
    Also, I was thinking of getting just ONE duck. Would that work or do they need company of at least one other duck?

3. joelharris

joelharris Chillin' With My Peeps

I would get at least 2 ducks for company. However do not get a drake or if you do keep the ducks and chickens separate as drakes can kill chickens when they try to mate with them. Also I have Muscovy Ducks and they don't Quack so are very Quiet.

4. fiddleblue

Jul 19, 2009
    Thanks, that is very helpful to know about the drakes being a danger to chickens, and about Muscovy ducks being quiet. It sounds like that would be the perfect breed to get if I did want to get 2 ducks.

5. joelharris

joelharris Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad I could help.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by