Can ducks climb a chicken tractor ramp?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kimber, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Kimber

Kimber In the Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    SW Florida
    I am planning to add some ducklings to my upcoming chick order. Last time I had ducklings I kept them in the coop with the chicks. When it came time to relocate them to the pond they would have NOTHING to do with it! [​IMG] Stubborn little darlings. Lets just say they made extremely messy rommies for the chickens.

Since then I've acquired a chicken tractor and I was wondering if it would make a good duck house. I would move it out to the ponds when they were ready. It has about a 4 foot ramp and I was wondering if they could waddle their way up, and if they have the same nighttime instincts as the chickens. I may have to remove the roost up top as it is in the way of where they would want to sleep.

What do you think>[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Apyl

Apyl Songster

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I was under assumption ducks dont climb well, like chickens do. BUT I could be completely wrong. I just noticed that my ducks ( Mallards nad Pekin) dont climb very well.

3. cskotek

cskotek Songster

My runners climb things pretty well. they are very athletic surpriseingly. But then again my pekins are very hefty and are not athletic at all loll. So i guess it depends on the breeds lol

4. Kimber

Kimber In the Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    SW Florida
    Hmmmm. Perhaps I should re- think this...we have runners on our list, but also white creasted pekins and rouens......

Thanks for your help?

5. Apyl

Apyl Songster

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    If you have rouens and pekins coming they're not going to fit inside the top part of your coop thing. A Rouen is like almost 10 pounds and a pekin is like 7 pounds.

6. cskotek

cskotek Songster

My male pekin is like 10 lbs! He is definately a hefty one! And im not shure how much room is at the top there. My bigger male runner is 26in tall o.o I know that when we get our coop done where ptting a ramp like that to get into it but im makeing my dad put sides on it so they cant fall off.

7. Kimber

Kimber In the Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    SW Florida
    Thanks everyone. Looks like im in the market for a new duck house.. Any sugesstions? Somethingbthat i can place near the ponds but secure from nght predators of which we have pleanty!

8. cskotek

cskotek Songster

check out the coop part of this fourm, lots of ideas there :)

9. Apyl

Apyl Songster

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    If you just need something for them to sleep in safely, I would just reburnish the chicken tractor you have. Instead of having them go up into the top of it I would close the top off and use it for storage and put wood up on the bottom walls to enclose it.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Just don't do an elevated home part on the chicken tractor! I have Muscovy and agile they are NOT especially the boys lol I like your chicken tractor though, i am looking at building one for my girls..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: