Can ducks feet get burnt from the hot ground?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bock, Jul 17, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I have 16 ducks and 2 geese. In the morning I let them out of their predator-proof cage, and they walk down the hill to the pond to forage. In the evenings they walk up the hill for dinner. The hill they have to walk up is mostly gravel and dirt, and the past few days the temps. have been 106-109 F. I never really thought about their feet being burnt until I had to walk up the hill barefooted myself today. I had gotten my flip flops all muddy at the pond, so I decided to walk up barefoot. The ground was so hot I could barely make it up the hill. Once I did, my feet were bright red and were developing blisters. I feel really bad if they are getting their feet bunt. Do you think it's hurting them? If it is, I don't really know how I would prevent it, other then giving them shoes (just kidding). So thanks for the input! [​IMG]

2. Willowbrook

Willowbrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    western PA
    The sensitivity in a ducks foot is very different from that of a human. Yes, extreme temperatures can cause problems if the ducks are forced to remain on a hot surface for long periods of time with no escape, but in this case they are moving and will only be on the driveway for a short period of time.
    If the driveway was truly unbearably hot, they would not use it no matter what.

People often wonder how ducks can swim in freezing temperatures without incident. The vascular system in waterfowl feet is very tolerant and forgiving.

In my opinion, no need for worry.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I worry about that too-I made a huge run that used to be part of a graveled driveway-I fenced in ( with8- 6 x 8 ft panels-attached to the back wall of the barn) I picked that spot for its drainage values and sun only in it half the day-. They have a pool in there too-I noticed that the rocks were not great at all so I rake it down 3x a week to expose the bare ground-so it is smooth for their feet. On hot days I take my hose and hose it all down so its wet-not muddy-but wet and cooled down for their feeties-can you do that at all?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  4. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I'm so glad it won't hurt them, I was worried. [​IMG] sonew123, I can't really spray down the hill they have to walk up, The hill is huge and I don't think the hose even reaches the top. I do spray down their run every day when they come up though. Thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by