Can ducks go on Vacation?

ILoveDucks1991

Hatching
Jan 9, 2016
Hi! I am going to be getting 2 pet ducks here within the next few months (after doing about 2 months of research). My question is if they can handle going on vacations? Our vacation is to our Arizona house and it is about a 12 hour drive. Once there we basically just hang at the house and pool everyday, its just getting there that has me scared for them. Would they be able to handle the trip? I will be getting the ducks in March and the trip is in the first week April.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

You just have to get them used to car rides, while there young take them places ( you know like safe for a duck) and take them in the car so they get used to it, u can probably train them to actually hop up in the car if u spend enough time with them

Hi! I am going to be getting 2 pet ducks here within the next few months (after doing about 2 months of research). My question is if they can handle going on vacations? Our vacation is to our Arizona house and it is about a 12 hour drive. Once there we basically just hang at the house and pool everyday, its just getting there that has me scared for them. Would they be able to handle the trip? I will be getting the ducks in March and the trip is in the first week April. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I've never gone on a drive that long with my ducks but my ducks are trained to lay down in my passenger seat when going places. A local business knows my birds so I bring them and I do shows with my birds as well as go to schools and teach stuff on poultry.

Things to think about when traveling with ducks (I think many people do travel with them) -

Safe little place within the car so there is absolutely no risk of them getting startled and leaving the car when the door is open.
Water at all times in a spill-proof water container (you can make one yourself - Majestic Waterfowl has instructions in one of their newsletters, I think)
... this matters especially if you have a duck that gets carsick. Romy gets carsick. Having the water can prevent them from choking. Carry plenty of extra water so you can top up their water container.
Plan for bedding changes if it's a long trip. I like using old towels.
We generally have not travelled with ducks for more than 3 hours. But we use these methods and it makes our trips pretty easy.
Feeding them is something I would think about quite a bit. 12 hours is a long time to go without food, but they are more prone to getting carsick if they travel on a full stomach, from what I have read. Now, your ducks may not have any problem with it - remember they're each unique.

Something else from the article from Majestic I just remembered - ducks can get overheated in a car that feels comfortable to people.

At the other end, how will you keep them safe and avoid them getting disoriented and wandering off?

I am sure you'll have a plan, but just sharing what I would be asking myself.

Last edited:
Things to think about when traveling with ducks (I think many people do travel with them) -

Safe little place within the car so there is absolutely no risk of them getting startled and leaving the car when the door is open.
Water at all times in a spill-proof water container (you can make one yourself - Majestic Waterfowl has instructions in one of their newsletters, I think)
... this matters especially if you have a duck that gets carsick. Romy gets carsick. Having the water can prevent them from choking. Carry plenty of extra water so you can top up their water container.
Plan for bedding changes if it's a long trip. I like using old towels.
We generally have not travelled with ducks for more than 3 hours. But we use these methods and it makes our trips pretty easy.
Feeding them is something I would think about quite a bit. 12 hours is a long time to go without food, but they are more prone to getting carsick if they travel on a full stomach, from what I have read. Now, your ducks may not have any problem with it - remember they're each unique.

Something else from the article from Majestic I just remembered - ducks can get overheated in a car that feels comfortable to people.

At the other end, how will you keep them safe and avoid them getting disoriented and wandering off?

I am sure you'll have a plan, but just sharing what I would be asking myself.

These are some good tips to remember for traveling long distances. Lucky for me my ducks still come when they are called and follow me around, even though they are almost 4 years old.

Back
Top Bottom