Can ducks go out now

i personally would only let them out supervised. I was probably a really over protective duck mommy, but i was (and still am) really scared of hawks or random dogs. It might be cold for them since they may not have in all their feathers yet.... i'd say be on the safe side and only let them out for certain periods of time for now...

Let me explain: They are in a 12 x 12 chain link dog kennel cage with a chicken wire roof another smaller cage that locks inside so they aren't loose. Hopefully nothing can get them.They were just outside and not in the barn. But I went and moved them in the barn for tonight. But what I was wondereing is when little duckies can go outside in a enclosed area at night. They have been in a garage with a heater on is what I was told so when will it be safe to move them outside.

These are the new babies. With my lonely muscovie
18503_dsc01704.jpg
18503_dsc01702.jpg

Nice birds from jayare. Thank you

They look pretty feathered to me... but I've also lost birds to cold around that age, too. I would play it safe personally. Nothing worse to come outside to find a stiff duck.

Well I put them in again tonight. It has been 35 in the morning but tomorrow is to drop to 20's so I will put them out in the day and in at night again tomorrow.

Hey Tams,
The ducks are looking good and looks like they have a safer place to live than they did here with me. I was just overprotective with my ducks since those were the first ones I hatched out and didn't want to loose them due to the weather.

My son saw the pics and he started crying and said he missed his ducks and why did we get rid of them? I told him your kids only had 1 duck and needed some more ducks so theirs wasn't lonely. I reminded him we still have 6 more little baby ducks and some of them will look like that and showed him what 11 looks like and said now you have 4 but we still have 11. He's all better now.

Don't you just love trying to explain to a 4 year old that we can't keep EVERY duck or chicken we raise and that some have to go live with someone else for whatever reason? I see it's going to be hard when it comes time to process a couple of these Turkeys I have. I'll have to tell him we will hatch out some of their eggs in the spring and have some more little baby turkeys.

Jayare

By the way those 2 duckies were hatched on Oct 10th so if you ever want to figure out how old they are later you can revert back to here and find out again.

The Magpie was born March 13th so he is just over 8 months old now.

Enjoy your new additions.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Jayare

Back
Top Bottom