Can ducks go swimming in the freezing winter?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by redhen, Dec 2, 2008.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    It may be a stupid question...but, i still have my kiddie pool out for my ducks...and they still go in it....the other day my duck had ice on her!...is this safe? will they freeze more easily or drown?...i know ducks are supposed to be winter hardy..but...something tells me i should not let them swim till spring..or can i?....[​IMG]..i'm confused, as usual.., thanks, Wendy

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Ducks swim in ice water.

If you took one of those ducks and plucked it you would see the feathering is as thick and downy as wool on a sheep. They are well insulated from the cold.

They know better what is best for themselves than we humans do. Let them swim. They will be fine.

3. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

Ducks swim in ponds, etc until they are iced over.

Our ducks jump into their water pan every day.

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Okay..thanks guys!...i'm a worry wart over them sometimes...[​IMG]..thanks again, Wendy

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

An old friend of mine had ducks on a pond once... in a freak freeze, the small bog pond froze over... and the ducks got their wet feet frozen to the top of the ice. She said she was traumatized for years as a kid because she was the one who found the duck feet stubs but not ducks on the feet!!! [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Whoa silkie!! That is disgusting!! [​IMG]

Mine seem to be in the water more when it is colder!! The pond was frozen twice already, and the ducks were swimming around one small area keeping it liquid!

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG]..LOL...something had a duckiscle for dinner that night!...[​IMG]..

8. runamuck

runamuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern michigan
    They LOVE to swim when its cold in fact the water is usually warmer then the air so they will spend more time in the water then usual. Last winter during sub zero weather those lil ducks spent all day in the pond and would have ice freezing on them the moment they got out. I as a wimpy human couldnt take it and they got to spend the night in the garage [​IMG] :woo Yes!!! deep down Im a big softie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thats a cool pond for them!..i just have a kiddie pool...lol...well..i guess i'll just let them decide what they want to do....freeze in the water, or stay warm and snuggle in their hay....i bet they choose to freeze in the water...[​IMG]....lol..thanks for the pic!

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    runamuck: I bet that was a mess to clean, having all those ducks in your garage!! What do you do with them all?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by