1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can ducks live with chickens at night

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by marvun22, Feb 2, 2013.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    tommorow morning i might get this answer from my poultry themselves. would it work for my 4 ducks who will sleep on the floor to sleep in my chicken coop with my 16 chickens who sleep on their perch at night. i just recently lost one of my used to be 5 ducks to a predator who im not sure is yet. my old duck pen was not the best quality but it worked for the first 4 months until yesterday. it is mildly cold right now and could get into the -degrees Fahrentheit. my coop floor is cement but there is plenty of straw there too.
    the dimensions are 16'x16'. it would be from about 6pm at night which is when it get darks around my place till about 7am which is usually when i let my birds out. thanks in advance.

ps, if my breeds matter read my forum signature.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Many people house their ducks and chickens together at night. My main concern would be the mess they would cause to the coop. As long as no one is excessively fighting and you can keep the mess under control I don't think it will be a issue.

3. skays1

skays1 New Egg

Feb 2, 2013
    "Fort Worth" TX
    If its temporary there is no cause for concern, I just find it to be beneficial to house them separately for various reasons.

Admittedly top on my list is the fact that I have 5 VERY cranky production red hens (Ideals spin on the 'star' hybrids), but ancillary to the whole fighting issue expect the water to be gone/all over the place. I tried the whole kumbaya living together arrangement before and had to refill the 2 1/2 gallon waterer twice a day for 6 chickens and 6 ducks (hence why my quacks drink out of #10 cans wired to the chain link with wire just large enough for their head to fit in over the opening).

As far as the predator goes, break out the scent blocker and the 870 ;)

4. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    the first night it worked out. as far as i know mine will be free ranging every day during the day unless im on vacation. my chickens and ducks seem to just stay away from each other when they're together in the coop. would they be ok in the same pen if i went on a vacation i have a 6x6 piece of plywood that is out of the ducks range for my chickens and the ducks would have their own water that they could mess up. night 1 was successful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by