1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can ducks live with chickens happily?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chicken boy sam, Dec 21, 2009.

1. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    I would like to know if ducks can live happily with chickens.

2. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Mine live together just fine. The ducks do their thing, the chickens do theirs and they return to the same coop at night and neither seem to bother the other.

3. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    The only problem I ever had with ducks and chickens living together was that the chickens' scratching made the ducks' mudmaking more efficient. I think you'll be OK as long as you don't live in rainville like I do. [​IMG]

4. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    I got 6 chooks (highliners) about the time my muscovy duck started sitting on her nest of 19 eggs. My drake was fine with them, and my duck only chased them away from her nest. Other then that they got along fine. At the start they kinda stayed away from each other, but today when I let them all out on my block they hang out together. Also my chooks are fine the ducklings, not fussed at all. Same with my little duckies, they are not intimidated at all by the chooks. I was a bit worried about it at first (with my duck being broody and all) but they're all one happy family [​IMG] with my duck occasionally nipping at them.

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    My duckpen is covered. I used to keep 3 of my worst escapee chickens in there. Until I changed my chicken setup.

They got along with the ducks just fine. The only problem was the chicken water. The ducks would dirty it up something awful! So I had to rig up a high place to set the chicken waterer. A place where the chickens could go but the ducks couldn't. Other than that, it was good. The ducks slept on the floor of the duckhouse, and the chickens had a roost to sleep on. They used the same nestboxes, the same feeders.

6. sunshine ducky

sunshine ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Illinois
    I would try thatbut if you want them to live together you got get the same number of group example two chickens two ducks hope I helped:]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    you dont need the same number of each. We have far more ducks than chickens. They free range together and some sleep in the same place at night as well. No issues, heck we have 2 geese who insist on sleeping in the current coop too.

8. tiki

tiki Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2012
    Our ducks are bullies to the chickens.

9. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    My ducks will bully the chickens, so I prevent it by keeping them apart during the day. At night they share a 12'X20' barn, but the chickens roost up in the rafters and the ducks and my gander have a big stall with shavings for bedding. In the morning, the waterfowl go up a ramp from their stall to the outside covered chicken run, through the run gate into their own big waterfowl pen, and the chickens come down from the rafters -- they always wait till the waterfowl have gone outside -- and have the run of the barn and chicken run.

The waterfowl go out every day except in really bad weather. When everyone has to share the barn (and covered run), the waterfowl dominate the stall and run, and the chickens make do with the barn aisles, shelves and rafters. It works out because there is enough space outside the stall so the chickens have room to move around and get their own food and water. Fortunately, it's rare that they all have to spend days cooped together.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  10. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had my chickens and ducks together for a while but keep one thing in mind, if you have young chicks and a pool/pond in there for your ducks, some chickens are so dumb that they will climb up to get a drink of water and fall in. Some won't know how to fly out. We lost at least 6 pullets this way. We even put a smaller pool in there with bricks on the bottom but they still drowned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by