Can Ducks live with chickens in thier coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by neblotti, Jul 2, 2008.

1. neblotti

neblotti New Egg

Jul 1, 2008
    Hi I was just wondering if my ducks can sleep in the coop with the chickens. they are all hens except one rooster. The ducks run loose all day but i like to put them and the chickens away at night so no predators get them. Right now I have a big crate in the garage im keeping them in but they need a home and was wondering if they can go in with the chickens. thanks in advance for answers [​IMG]

2. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    we had a pair of ducks that lived in the coop with the chickens and rooster. They got along fine, except one duck really liked the ladies, and didnt care if it was the female duck, or the chickens. That duck was tearing up the chickens backs with his aggressive mating. ( and the rooster would chase the duck,but not hurt him- it was actually kinda comical)
    They were all raised together from day 1 though, so I don't know if that had something to do with their getting along well.

3. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    I don't do it myself, but I grew up with mallards, pekings and chickens. My parents kept the mallards and chickens in the same run/coop with no problems. The pekins had to be seperate, as the drake would attack chicken and mallards both. Perhaps it depends on the breed? Good Luck!

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    They can, as long as the ducks are able to get out of the run/coop during the day to wander. Otherwise, way too much manure will accumulate.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My exchange program host family had chickens, ducks, a goose, and a peahen all together. Everyone was hapy.

6. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I have always kept chickens and ducks together. I have about 6 chickens and 2 ducks and they are in the same run and shed at night and then free range during the day. No problems at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by