1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can EEs be sexed by color?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LaurelRidgeDreams, Aug 7, 2011.

1. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Someone told me that most black and white EEs are roos? Is this true? Can EEs be sexed by color?

2. SouthernOregonChick

SouthernOregonChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2011
    Out of my EE's only one is black and white, and I am fairly certain it's a roo. Could just be coincidence? [​IMG]
    I think that I have seen pictures of EE roos that weren't black and white, though, now that I think about it...

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    There's another thread on here about sexing EEs that I think you'd enjoy. The short answer is yes, sometimes but it's not as simple as black & white = male. There are certain color patterns that emerge on some chicks that strongly suggest one sex or the other but it's not always so obvious.

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    MOST black and white Easter Eggers are roosters, but some are pullets. It all depends on the color PATTERN.

Here's a pic of a black and white rooster...
    [​IMG]

And a black and white pullet...
    [​IMG]

Notice how the rooster's coloring is more blotchy? And the pullet's coloring is more wild type?

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Here is my black/white pullet EE.
    [​IMG]
    and another one
    [​IMG]

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    As said above. Not all black and whites are boys, there's actually a color ruling/guideline to follow based on patterning, but yes, most of them are indeed usually boys.

8. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Looks like I have two five week old black and white "blotchy" EE cockerels. Hum, not exactly what I'd hoped for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by