Can EE's lay a differnt color egg each day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickadee-23, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Chickadee-23

Chickadee-23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    I have 2 bantam EEs one will lay blue to greenish color eggs everyday, but the other one is laying differnt color everyday so far shes layed-blue, green, pink, & pink with speckled shes also had one that was an olive color, is this normal for this breed? My other one just lays blueish to greenish colors sometimes shell have an olive color!! Thanks

2. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Egg color is hardwired in the DNA, so a hen who lays blue eggs will always lay blue eggs, and a hen that lays brown eggs will always lay brown. A few factors can vary the color of the egg, including the intensity of the bloom, which can make blue eggs look green, or brown eggs look pink or speckled with white, and eggs that are laid early in the hen's cycle will have the most rich color, but they won't change back and forth between two entirely different colors. I don't know who's laying what, but unless you have a chimera, your chicken simply can't lay two entirely different colors of egg in her life--her genetics won't allow it.

Do you have any other chickens in your flock? If you have caught both EE's in the act of laying and they are both laying blue/green eggs, then the pink eggs are coming from somebody else. If you only have the two EE's and no other chickens, then one of them is laying the blue/green eggs, and the other EE is the one laying pink.

3. Chickadee-23

Chickadee-23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    Ok i did some investigating after reading your answer i have one large coop that i split and made it into 2 so both sides has a house, ok so in pen 1 has my 2 EES and rooster thts EE mixed(not sure the mix) they are 8 months old, and in second one I have EE mix and 3 old english game & game roo, so 3 of the hens in second pen slipped thro crack in door and went into the EEs pen and lay in their house so thts where the other colors coming from, the 2 EEs one lays blue/green other lays olive color, so thank you so much i got the crack fixed so no more escaping i could actually put them all together cause they were all raised as babys together, but i split them cause game roo kept fighting the EE one, and the Mixed EE hen kept fight with my broody EE :)

4. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    lol Those sneaky chickens! Glad you were able to solve the mystery, and that is too funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by