Can egg being jostled by other chicks effect an unhatched egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lcbrasier25, Sep 16, 2011.

1. lcbrasier25

lcbrasier25 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    I've got several eggs left in the bator. We had these eggs shipped to us so I was pretty sure hatch rate wasn't going to be the same as if we didn't ship them. But, I have one egg that I can hear chirping, but not pipped yet. Yesterday at 3:00 was the beginning of our 21st day. So, being after 3, I'm ending day 21. Do you think that the other chicks in the bator could have moved the egg around enough to make it harder for this chick to hatch?

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I believe that can happen. I used to cut a ring out of butter tubs and put 4-5 eggs in each so that they couldn't roll across the incubator. Don't have to do that right now because the incubator is so full, there is no where for them to roll, lol.

3. chittyn

chittyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    happened to me a couple of times yesturday the chick turned the egg but it still managed to find its way out (might take a bit longer )

4. lcbrasier25

lcbrasier25 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    I wasn't sure. But, the egg I was concerned about has pipped, so won't be too long [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by