1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can egg laying chickens drink Mosquito Dunk water?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DragonClaw01, Jun 9, 2016.

1. DragonClaw01

DragonClaw01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2013
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    IMO I would provide clean fresh water without any additives.

3. DragonClaw01

Sep 25, 2013
    Well, I was looking for an easy way to kill mosquito larvae. Down here they are in the hundreds, if not thousands. But I wasn't sure if it was egg friendly. It says it is animal safe.

4. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    The mosquito dunks contain a beneficial bacteria, Bacillus thuringiensis or BT. The BT is deadly to larvae. It is supposedly safe for poultry.

5. DragonClaw01

Sep 25, 2013
    Yes, I read that. I know that.

But is it safe to eat eggs from hens that drank the water?

6. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I don't see why not. I (and a lot of people) use BT powder on my broccoli and kale plants and we eat those. It's considered a safe alternative to pesticides.

"Bt products are found to be safe for use in the environment and with mammals. The EPA has not found any human health hazards related to using Bt. In fact the EPA has found Bt safe enough that it has exempted Bt from food residue tolerances, groundwater restrictions, endangered species labeling and special review requirements. Bt is often used near lakes, rivers and dwellings, and has no known effect on wildlife such as mammals, birds, and fish."
    The above quote is from http://www.bt.ucsd.edu/bt_safety.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by