Can egg production stop due to skinnier chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Drew Allen, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Drew Allen

Drew Allen New Egg

Oct 22, 2009
    I have a flock of 12 chickens 1 being a rooster about are RIR and then we have 2 Coachins and then one black and red hen not sure what she is. We have this a couple of times a year and it has happened yet again. Our chickens ave stopped laying. I need to know what I can do. Also is there any way of determing if they have worms or not? I really like my chickens and I want to care for them properly.Any help will be appreciated.

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Drew, ya gotta take into consideration the time of year when layers naturally slow down. Not only do you have normal moulting and stress, you have less daylight. I believe you may not get many eggs until spring, but sometimes they pick up in late winter. If you haven`t wormed them, this is a great time to do it. Just my 2 cents......Pop

3. Drew Allen

Drew Allen New Egg

Oct 22, 2009
    What type of worming medicene or product so you recomend? I seen something at the store and it is not for egg layers for human consumption.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I always recomend cayenne pepper. Here`s the blurb:

Cayenne Pepper;

It`s a natural wormer. Mix it heavily with your feed to turn it rusty looking. Pepper in the front, worms run out the back. Chickens don`t have the heat resceptors like most critters, so they eat it up. Worms, on the other hand, heh, heh. You can still eat the eggs. Repeat in 10 days to get the new worms, then about every six months for mainainance. And don`t forget the second dose.

5. Drew Allen

Drew Allen New Egg

Oct 22, 2009
    Thanks alot I now remember hearing that from a fellow farmer but I did not believe him at first I generally wait till I hear it from a couple of people first. I will try it soon and once again thank you

6. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry, I don't hold a lot of stock with the more 'natural' methods when it comes to worming. If your hens already look thin, it's probably too late to use natural preventatives. They need defensive treatment, IF worms are the issue.

I use ivermectin drops (applied on the back of the neck) to worm and de-mite my girls, and it does seem to do the trick. The last time I wormed (and I worm religiously every spring and autumn, and more often if I feel necessary) I saw TONS of worms in the poop! Surprising how much of a worm load these hens can accumulate...

7. HennyPennies2007

HennyPennies2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Quote:Cara is right on here...Use eprinex pour on sold at feed stores...there is no withdrawal on the eggs....I use 1/2 CC for LF and 1/4 for banties on the back of the necks between the wings. If your hens are thin and unthrifty worm right away. I lost 3 hens this summer. It will only get worse. Hens will slow laying in the fall due to insufficient light and/or molt...but if your hens are skinny and lank...worm them. It can't hurt and it might just save you a lot of heartache....Been there...done that....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by