can eggs back up in a chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeannine, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Jeannine

Jeannine Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2008
    Williamston, S.C.
    My Coop
    One of my year-olds seems to have a problem . . . she sat in her nesting box for a few hours yesterday into last night, and I'm worried. She seems to be wanting to lay an egg, and lifts up while squatting once in a while (and I see no egg under her), but nothing is happening.
    She has been a good layer all this past summer, and even all last week. Can it happen that a chicken can get "backed up" with eggs? Is there anything that I can do??
    I only have three hens and one roo. They are cooped at night, but I let them out to roam the yard most every day. They always seem to have such fun running around and scratching.
    So much to learn . . .

2. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Check her vent & feel inside to see if she has a shell-less egg as they find it hard to lay those. Also feel her abdomen to see if you can feel a normal egg.

3. Jeannine

Nov 8, 2008
    Williamston, S.C.
    My Coop
    Thanks, I'm just waiting for daylight, and will have to go check the coop. Hope she's not still on the nest! If so, I'll try.

4. Jeannine

Nov 8, 2008
    Williamston, S.C.
    My Coop
    :)Glad to say that she's doing fine this morning! No egg in her nesting box (just some poop), but she's running around like nothing happened, so I'm thrilled.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by