Can eggs develop during shipping?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by suzettex5, May 13, 2010.

1. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    I have some eggs that were in transit for at least 4 days, and a few had dates on them from one or two days before shipping actually began.

Now, on day 12, a few eggs were soooo dark when candled, I was positive they were bad- I mean 7 others look totally different, the 7 have more obviously small embryo's, more free space in the shell, way more obvious movement. The 2 suspect eggs didnt smell, or sweat, but they are really far different when candled, very dark suddenly, very full, very little extra space, NO obvious movement. There was movement in them a few days ago, but then they got dark inside and I couldnt see anything. I have a really good light that is very bright and I never had problems seeing thru eggs with it.

So, today I decided I wasnt going to let one explode in my bator, so I took the one I was 99% positive was rotten and broke it open. BAD mistake [​IMG] Inside was a big, fully formed chick with a full covering of feathers. And I think it may have still been alive [​IMG] There was still alot of yolk and no bad smell or discolorization of the contents.

Needless to say I put the other suspect egg right back in the bator. I could just KICK myself. I feel awful. I am already soooo attached to these eggs/chicks, its ridiculous- I've even put off a family vacation just to stay home to hatch and care for the chicks.

My question is- Can eggs begin developing during shipment? It seems like the 1 I broke open was more than 12 days along, and the other 7 eggs look very different when candled. Is it possible? How do I know when to put each egg into lockdown if they are developing at different rates???

Or am I wrong about development at the 12 day mark?

Opinions? Personal experiences?

Thanks!

2. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Awwwwww, darn! I can't really answer your question about the devt part but I did the same thing with breaking an egg open that was BEHIND the others but still alive and I was horrified. I understand your feelings. I'm sorry for you!

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    This is one reason why I dislike candling eggs, mistakes can be made. I only candle as I put the eggs in the bator and then as I take the turner out. Any egg that has not hatched by day 25 is tossed. That way I am not killing any chicks.

4. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Quote:This is my first time with eggs that cost me anything, but I figured I could just treat them like the eggs we've hatched here at home. For us that means candling every few days so my children can wittness development every time we hatch (which has only been 3 times in the bator, including this bunch)

I am so worried about these though because of the transit time and distance- I want them to make it. I was probably being overly paranoid about an egg going bad and exploding in the bator and ruining my other eggy babies.

Looking at that chick was an experience I dont want to repeat.

No one seems to know if an egg can begin to develop while in transit......surely someone knows??

ANYONE???

5. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    As unbelievable as it sounds, last summer I had four eggs develop AND hatch without a hen on them. It was THAT hot. None of them lived, I found them when I was searching for the noise of the peeping they were all stuck to their shells due to the drought but it did happen. I know there was no hen on that nest because no one was walking around clucking and I hadn't noticed anybody missing with 11 hens I would have noticed that. -shrug- maybe I didn't?

6. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    If some of the eggs seem more developed than the others. Only thing I can think of is when the person collected them. They collected one that was hidden in the nest and was sat on for a day or two. And it was very lucky not to die during shipping..

That is the only thing I can think of..

7. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I would think that if eggs are shipped in a hot climate they could start developing. IF they are traveling from one state to another on a hot day in the back of a truck with no windows I would think it can get hot in there and they could start developing.

8. Hi! What's most likely is your egg seller didn't candle the eggs prior to wrapping/packing and sent you an egg that was already developing.
    Only thing I can think of is when the person collected them. They collected one that was hidden in the nest and was sat on for a day or two. And it was very lucky not to die during shipping..

That's another good reason to candle eggs before you set them.
    Here's a chart w/pics:
    Chick Embryo Development
    Good luck with the rest of your eggs!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa​

9. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    I've seen some post that they had eggs stored on top of their refrigerator before they were going to put them in the bator and they had started to develop up there, so I think anything is possible.
    I'm the one who just had an egg explode in the bator on eggs and chicks. Just crack an egg open yesterday that I thought could be bad as it had an air sac almost half the egg and seemed irregular. Don't you know there is still movement in the eggs, no blood or anything. So I've stuck it back in the bator and covered it with a damp paper towel. As of this morning it is still moving, so we will see.

10. chickieshealing

chickieshealing Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    Ao Nang, Krabi, Thailand
    God, I just cracked open an egg I thought was overdue and the mama kept rejecting. I wanted to check it to see if the mom was right. Turned out it was on day 18 based on the chart, fully developed with yolk and blood, still alive! I feel so aweful and sick. I'll never do it again, but I wondered if there was a way to save it? I guess I just have to think that one saved others because we have so many overdue eggs, I was going to start throwing them out! The one I opened was also the first one I was going to put in the trash since it seemed like one I've seen the longest the the chickens were rejecting. Perhaps I was wrong and it was not alive, which would be nice. But no matter what, I'm making sure the chicks have been around for a full 30 or so days before I trash them from now on! Is there any way to save them at day 18 though?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by