1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can eggs survive this?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WendyF, Aug 4, 2014.

1. WendyF

WendyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    My Coop
    My day 10 candle didn't go as I had hoped. We got a massive windstorm. Our power was out for a day. The low on my thermometer recorded at 79! [​IMG]I was out of town until two hours before our power kicked back on. I didn't get to candle on day 10 which would have been Saturday because I had to help my Mom for health issues. She is OK; it was just a scare, but I stayed the night with her to help calm her nerves. Then I came home to the power outage of about 22 hours...The bator had been doing such a good job at keeping stable, I didn't want to unplug it for the hour & 1/2 drive up to my Mom's house. I am so glad my Mom is alright, but so upset about my poor eggs. I candled them when the power came back on, just to see if I could find any signs of life still, and to inspect them for bad smells or weeping. My little Miracle Egg, #12, showed me movement again! Is it possible that this egg could survive this prolonged dip in temperature? It was slower movement than day 7 candle; but I keep hoping that it will pull through & this will just delay the hatch date. Is there any hope? I thought I saw slight movement in 2 other eggs, but that might have just been wishful thinking. Nothing was obviously dead, No smells or weeping. I saw a lot more veins than day 7 candle, and the bantam assorted egg with the detached air cell seemed to have gained some stability in it; the air cell hardly moved during candle. Has anyone ever had any eggs survive something like this? [​IMG]

2. Jacqdiva

Jacqdiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    I posted my own thread because one of family turned off my incubator. CANT BELIEVE IT!!! It was off 4 hrs I just found out. Turned it back on, but am doubtful. Pretty sad for my blue Orpington and white Wyandotte eggs. I feel for you. Let me know if you get anything. Mine were day 18 and I was going into lockdown.

3. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    Don't despair folks... a little cool down is not likely to kill your eggs. In fact, in nature there is usually a cool down everyday. Some incubators actually program this cool down into the process. I would get them back up to temp and expect them to be just fine : )

4. ZainabH

ZainabH Out Of The Brooder

Hens, while sitting naturally on their eggs, always leave them once a day to eat, drink water, and just have a good stretch. During this period, which in the case of my hens can last up to an hour or more, the eggs are left alone and of course, cool down some what. Hopefully, the "cool down" your eggs experienced was nothing out of the ordinary should they have been outside in a natural environment.

5. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    Thanks. I hope my little peepers will come through.

6. WendyF

Jun 9, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    My Coop
    I do too! Let us know how your lockdown goes. I have everything stabilized in the bator again & will candle again on day 15. Hopefully my bouncing little blobs of joy will be ok!

7. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    Fingers crossed for you. Will let you know. Post how yours go too.

8. WendyF

Jun 9, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    My Coop
    I will. LOL I had no idea trying to hatch some eggs would be so emotional & drama-filled for me. DH laughs at my egg induced bipolar mood swings ~ it is seriously very high highs & very low frets. All for chicks I could have had shipped for about the same price all fluffy & cute, having only to worry about chick stuff. I swear, I write my eggs off as goners at least every other day! I thought it would be so much fun to hatch them...;)

1 person likes this.
  9. Cowdoggin

Cowdoggin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    Had a similar thing happen this year. 1st Incubation of the year and my daughter, not thinking, unplugged the power cord that the incubator was plugged into.. The incubator had only been going for 4 or 5 days, when she unplugged it. It was unplugged for about 24+ hrs, before I realized the fan was not running. The Incubator was down to 74 degrees. I plugged it back in, checked the eggs, Let them warm up, re-checked and everyone looked good.. waited 4 or 5 days, re-checked, most looked good , did have few clear, and couple of D. O A.s. Most did hatched though, did lose a couple to the usual issues. but most chicks and ducklings did hatch.. 20 duck eggs, 14 ducklings hatched.. 10 Chicken eggs, 7 chicks hatched.. Soo I do know that, at least the power being turned off within the 1st few days incubation, for about 24 hrs does really harm the eggs..

We also had a Muscovy go broody this spring, She decided that a box inside a dog kennel was a good nesting site. She had been sitting for about 3wks when she accidentally flipped the box, and one egg ended up on the ground. Poor Daisy was trying to figure out "how" to get the egg back in the nest. I dont know how long the egg had been on the ground, but when I picked it up it was really cold. I run it in the house and candled it. the fetus was moving, but barley. I stuck it in the incubator, as it was already going and warmed the egg up. Re-checked the egg, and placed a warmed up 'happy' fetus back under Mom. Dont know if it actually hatched as only 2 out of the 3 Ancona ducklings hatched, one duckling, just simply didnt hatch.

OH and 2 "infertile" s'covy eggs Hatched!! Now we have 2 Mules..lol

Anyway REALLY hope everything goes ok.. and I do believe that eggs are designed to with stand lower temps for short for a while, and still hatch.

10. ZainabH

ZainabH Out Of The Brooder

I truly think raising chickens is addictive!!! My DH says I am completely obsessed with my small flock. One of my young hens is sitting at the moment for the first time; I am so excited and nervous; checking her all the time. It is fun watching the eggs hatch but also stressful getting them to that stage. My chicks will arrive into 45 degree summer heat so I am already panicking about this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by