Can feces from dogs that eat raw chicken be a vector for Marek's disease?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Avo96, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Avo96

Avo96 New Egg

Nov 3, 2015
    I have done much reading about Marek's disease and think I understand the basics of it, but have one nagging question that has not been answered regardless of how much reading or searching I do. My dogs are fed RAW store-bought chicken. Just recently it occurred to me that the dogs may have contaminated my yard with Marek's virus with their feces.

Am I just being paranoid, or is this a possibility? I have never owned chickens before, but have some chicks arriving in January that have not been vaccinated.

2. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    Welcome to BYC!
    The MDV will not "survive" the digestive tract of the dog.
    Did your dog ate raw chicken meat? If it was cooked the cooking
    Also have neutralized the virus.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  3. Avo96

Avo96 New Egg

Nov 3, 2015
    My dogs are fed raw chicken meat and bones quite often, as part of their healthy carnivore diets. ;)

4. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    No, the virus wouldn't survive the dog's digestive system. Getting it from wild birds or even from you after you handled raw chicken or went to a feed store would be more likely. I wouldn't expect commercially raised meat birds (that only live 6 weeks and are grown in houses) to be carrying Mareks.

A word of advice -- realize that chickens are NOT like dogs. Responsible dog owners can expect their dogs will live many years, be protected from contagious diseases, and finally succumb to old age related illnesses. Chickens are a whole different story. While some may live many many years (even 10+ years) chickens are fragile and susceptible to all sorts of ailments, you will sustain losses that you cannot prevent. Best way to avoid strange diseases is to only buy from reputable hatcheries, even the NPIP breeders often have Marek's or other strange chicken illnesses latent in their flocks.

In short chickens bring drama so prepare yourself for it and expect the unexpected.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  5. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    You could reduce drastically your chicken problems if you will learn the principals of strict bio security, and stress relief methods. if you will practice thous, you will prevent more then 90% of the problems!

6. Avo96

Avo96 New Egg

Nov 3, 2015
    Thank you!

7. Avo96

Avo96 New Egg

Nov 3, 2015
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by