Can feed brands for layers make that much difference???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bigoakhunter, Aug 1, 2010.

1. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    I have some layers that had the same feed for 6 months or so. They have laid just fine. Recently averaging 12 per day for a flock of 15 layers. ( range is 10 to 14). A freinmd works for a feed company and kept after me to switch to his company. So I did....4-5 days later egg production dropped to an average of 9 eggs per day , with range of 6 to 11. So was this 25% drop due to the summer weather or changing layer feed types?

MY only input is that after 6 weeks of new feed, I bought a bag of "old type feed". After switching back for 3 days eggproduction climbed slightly , then another 3 days and egg produxtion is back to 12 egg average out of 15 hens.

Any input? Can feed type make a 25% difference or is there other factors , I shou look at. Same birds, same coop and run, etc.

Let me know,

Dave

2. chickenboy21

chickenboy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    look at the ingredient list if one brand has a higher calcium ration it could influence the rate at which the hens will lay... so yes feed can influence the birds laying
    goodluck

3. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I want to know the name of the feed that caused a 25% drop so I can avoid it.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The vast majority of feeds have a limited distribution area, so chances are that the feed from Michigan is not available in New Jersey. Any dramatic change in feed can produce changes in lay, bring on a molt or other stress related behaviors. Do not just look at the calcium difference, but look at the difference in ingredients and all listed nutrition percetages. The most common chicken feed in my area is complete JUNK! I drive many miles further to get what I consider a considerable improvement in quality.

5. bigoakhunter

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:33yardbirds

PM me

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm feeding Purina Layena. Is it a good feed?

7. bigoakhunter

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Layena is mentioned in many threads on here, search it. It should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by