Can females sound female and male?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by vfem, Feb 16, 2009.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I was so sure my ducks were drakes, and then I heard then quacking. VEry rare... maybe once or twice a day. The rest of the time they have a quite whisper that sounds drakelike. I see no drake feather yet.... (13 weeks old). I'm supposing the females aren't super loud and quack all the time.... or they are really loud males?!

Can you explain a little more on the sounds you get from your females and males?

I've heard a recording online... and I swear mine make both sounds though the male sounding whisper is a constant through out the day. Then alll of a sudden they'll quack at me for no reason. Its usually in the morning when I come out to feed or in the evening when they head back to the pond. Who knows!!!! [​IMG]

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    If they quack, they're females. They don't always quack, they make other sounds as well. It's hard to explain, but it's almost like the duck version of a grunt - they don't open their bills but you see their chests moving up and down.

A male will always sound hoarse, no matter what sound he makes. It's like males have sore throat.

3. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I'm just having a hard time distingushing the sounds they made. I laugh because occassionally they sound like a goose!!!

My husband swears the quack every morning when he leaves... its rare for me to hear. I just don't want to be stuck with 2 males as I was hoping for eggs.

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Keep a close eye out for the drake feather. They say the drake feather is supposed to come in at around 11 weeks, but my drake didn't get his until 13 or 14 weeks. What kind of ducks do you have? If you have males they should be getting in their male coloring by now.

5. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Male coloring does me no good... I have 2 Pekins.... completely white!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by