can first eggs have chicks?

mine are almost to the age of having there first eggs and they have a young rooster there same age in the cage with them so i was wondering if they can have chicks?
idunno.gif

If the rooster is old enough to be fertile and is mating with them, then yes, the eggs could hatch. However, I think it is kinda like anything else, just because a 12 y/o human CAN get pregnant, they shouldn't. Not just because of the mother, because of potential problems with the development of the baby. I am pretty sure there could be issues with hatching them from such a young, newly laying, hen's eggs. Though I suppose I could be wrong. Anyway, I would certainly wait. I know their first eggs are smaller, too, which sounds like a potential problem.

my chicks/chickens are free range so they can have babys whenever. and one of my roos is 2 months old and already matting i have never had this problen befor, and he already puffs up as well. i highly doubt that they well have babies at there young age because until there eggs get bigger they wont be in the chicken coop just in the chick house. so i am not too worried i was just wondering.

We've had Silky and Mottled Cochin pullets go broody at 25 weeks. We sold the Cochins as there was no way we needed 6 broody hens. Hubby is actually ready for me to sell off the Silkies as he's getting fed-up with how broody they are...finally!
gig.gif

I hatched (I use a bator) some of our pullet eggs over the winter but the hatching rates were rather low. We've had better hatches now that the girls are officially hens.

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom