can geese and ducks

Poultrybonkers

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Mar 22, 2011
My Coop
My Coop
mate and have babies? my instincts say not but My duck eggs are fertile and i only have females ducks how are they fertile!

I am no expert ,but I wouldn't think that they would mate. Maybe one of your ducks is a male. I have a runner that is a male and he doesn't have the curl on his tail.
I know he is a male by the sound he makes. The females sound like they are laughing
smile.png

riane'smimi :

I am no expert ,but I wouldn't think that they would mate. Maybe one of your ducks is a male. I have a runner that is a male and he doesn't have the curl on his tail.
I know he is a male by the sound he makes. The females sound like they are laughing
smile.png

How would I get two duck eggs then? I'm not sure though were find out when I incubate them.
smile.png

Geese and Ducks will bond but the conventional wisdom is that they cannot breed together. I would look again at your ducks to check that one isnt a drake or is there a possibility of a wild duck getting in and mating with your ducks?

Pete
wink.png

Yes, they can. These are several reports with photos. I don't havwe the citations here. I'll post them when I get home.

Clint

I know there are quationable reports and photos on the internet but I've never seen actual guaranteed evidence. Most schools of thought rule it out as they are different species and have a different number of chromosomes making a viable embryo almost impossible.

Please do post any information youhave Clint as I'm very interested
smile.png

Pete
wink.png

The bird in the link doesn't look like a hybrid to me.

I'll have to look for other articles, but one on top of the pile is:

Poulson, H. 1950. Morphological and ethological notes on a hybrid between a domestic duck and a domestic goose. Behaviour 3: 99-104.

Yamashina (1952) did most of the chromosome work people often refer to. He lists a muscovyxswan goose hybrid. He lists Anser as having 82 chromosomes and Anas as having 80, but the details are difficult to understand because of the variability in his karyotypes.

Clint

Back
Top Bottom