Can girls stay in coop until 7:30 or 8:00 a.m. daily?

crazi4chix

In the Brooder
May 8, 2015
Just built a new coop. We don't intend to have any roosters (fingers crossed). 15 hens, 10x8 coop space inside with food, water, roosting bars, and nesting boxes. Door to outside run is channel set and ready for auto door, but we are going to try it on our own at first. Coop attaches to enclosed, covered run (8x8), but we did not bury the fence, so I do not consider it predator proof at night.

Question: Can our girls stay in each morning until about 7:30 a.m. or 8:00 a.m.? That is just the realistic time that our family goes out to start morning chores.

I worry about being gone at dusk as well, but we are usually home.

They should be fine. My hens will not be out after dark. they will put themselves away. If we are running late I can't even get them out with food. kind of like us they will get in a routine. We have left our chicken in for later in the am and they have been fine. Congrats on your chickens and your new coop!

I let mine out at about 8:00 am. They are in the habit of filling their crops before bed so they aren't completely starving first thing in the morning. Once I open the coop and put their feeder down, they spend a minute or two at the feeder, and then are off to look over their run for yummy bits of forage.

Thanks so much. This is very good to know. On the rare occasion we get to sleep in (8:30 a.m.) I didn't want to be a slave to their schedule

Thanks for the great advice!

Okay great. So from your answer I glean that you put your feeder each night? Should we pal

Each person has their own way. Mine free range so I use food to bring them in ( I can just call them and hold the feed pitcher and they all run to me). Then I feed them a bit in the morning. I don't have feed in my coop because they don't need it. They eat all day long. If you are not free ranging them you will have to see what works for your chickens. In the winter we have to feed more since there is less to eat but even at those times I still only have to feed them morning and evening.

Fabulous. Great to know. We intend to free range when they are old enough. Glad this will cut down on my food bill :)

We had a big rodent problem when we first bought our place. We have finally managed to eliminate all of their entrances into the house. We really don't want to do anything to encourage the rats and mice to come back. The coop is only 10 feet from the house, so yes, we remove all feed from the chicken area every night.

Back
Top Bottom