Can Golden Comet (sex link) chicks be striped?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by littlelemon, May 6, 2008.

1. littlelemon

littlelemon Songster

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    I got my order from Meyer Hatchery yesterday. I had a Golden Comet in with my order for my daughter as it is her "favorite", and ours was killed last year. Anyway, I have had Golden Comet chicks before and they were a plain light red/tan color with no markings. This chick has red stripes running down her back! Is this a normal occurance with the Golden Comets, or did I get a different breed by mistake? I ordered with a friend of mine who got a New Hampshire Red, and that chick looks the way I think a Golden Comet should look! Do you think the two chicks got mixed up?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

Haven't heard of a striped golden comet... maybe they did get mixed up.

However as an aside, I always find it hard to get two "matching" sexlinks if they are from different suppliers because the breeding parent strains can always be different. I want another golden sexlink too but I still can't find one of her particular breeding!!! [​IMG] All my new ones end up with red...as red sexlinks!

3. Gindee77

Gindee77 Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I have some Golden Comets and this is what they looked like as babies...sorry if this isn't very clear, it's the best pic I could find of their backs. They are the two darker gold chicks.

[​IMG]

Could you post a pic of your babies?

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Crowing

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Yep! Completely normal! Here is a pic of my golden comets right after I got them two weeks ago. Hope this eases your concerns! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Songster

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    That is exactly what my red sex links look like. As a matter of fact...as they are getting their feathers, the color is off-white. Is that normal?

6. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Yes, their wing feathers will start out with the white feathers.

Jean

7. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Songster

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    great! thanks so much.

8. Gindee77

Gindee77 Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Booming Chicks...here's what my Lucy (Golden Comet) looked like at 3 weeks.

[​IMG]

You can see the white feathers on her wings and tail. Her gold feathers are coming in a lot now...she's 5 weeks old.

9. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Songster

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Mine are starting to look just like that. Thanks for the post!

10. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Songster

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    What is the difference between red ones and gold ones? I have one red...white feathers just starting to redden at the shoulders. She has the stripes too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: