Can Guinea Fowl Survive 100% on there own in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Newb, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Newb

Newb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    I have never owned guinea fowl but read that gunieas love to eat ticks and insects. I have some land in SE Ohio which is a good 30min drive from my house and I was wondering if guinea could survive there without supervision. The majority is wooded but there are a couple acres of open grasses and a half acre pond. There are tons of insects especially ticks to eat from April-October but I don't know if they could find food or water in the winter. Turkey thrive on acorns throughout the winter but I do not know if guineas would do the same.

Let me know what you think. I'm pretty sure 99.9% of people are going to tell me it's impossible but I have no idea so I figured I'd ask. Thanks.

2. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Are there coyotes, raccoons, dogs, bobcats, owls, or hawks there?

3. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    How many guineas? How much protection and would you visit now and then to make sure they have food and water? Pretty sure you would lose some and some would wander off to better places. Some might stay.

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    You'll eventually lose them all. To predators in the warmer weather. To predators, the extreme cold and lack of food in the Winter. Guineas are not turkeys and do not eat acorns. I know, we keep the deer very happy around here with all the acorns on the ground, the guineas never touch them except to walk over.

5. Newb

Newb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    There are definatly predators around, coons, coyotes and an occasional bobcat to name a few. I would not visit very often either. Maybe a couple times during deer season to hunt, I could drop off some seed then. The turkeys survive, I wonder if the guineas could get establised.

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    It's not impossible,
    they are true rangers, however if they wipe out the insects and are not getting fed by you , they may move to greener pasture.

My guineas range all over this 100 acres here, but they still come home to eat and roost.

I love guinea TV
    [​IMG]

7. Newb

Newb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Hmm, would they eat seed from the grasses or other food sources in the woods? Would building a couple boxes to place in trees help for protection against ground predators and maybe owls?

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:It does not snow here as a normal rule and mine forage in the winter as well.

Building boxes sounds like a good idea and well guines do what they want to when free ranged and how you will get them to use the boxes i don't know unless you raise them in them in them first.

My guineas are pretty savvy when it comes to predators so i have very few losses. and we have lots of wild critters on our land.
    [​IMG]

9. Newb

Newb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Sounds like the winter would be the show stopper. Anyone know of Guineas being able to survive an Ohio scale winter on thier own?

10. EggHunter_66

EggHunter_66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Box Springs,Georgia
    Quote:It does not snow here as a normal rule and mine forage in the winter as well.

Building boxes sounds like a good idea and well guines do what they want to when free ranged and how you will get them to use the boxes i don't know unless you raise them in them in them first.

My guineas are pretty savvy when it comes to predators so i have very few losses. and we have lots of wild critters on our land.
    http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e149/zazousemoon206/trail cam 2010/MDGC01012.jpg

WOW, I love that trail cam pic!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by