1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can guineas eat the same food as chickens?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by dylan729, Apr 12, 2012.

1. dylan729

dylan729 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    Castroville,TX
    I was thinking about getting a Guinea or 2 but i was wondering if they could eat the same food as my chickens.?

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Yes but only after they are grown up. You should start the Keets on High protien Gamebird starter. The Keets grow much quicker and are more active than chicks therefore they need more protien.

deb

3. dylan729

Apr 5, 2012
    Castroville,TX
    Ok thx. How old do they need to be before they can eat my chicken feed?

4. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

I am thinking 7 to 8 weeks at least. I raised up forty last year and I will be darned if I remember when i put them on flock raiser. I am sure someone will give you a more definite answer.

By the way.... Welcome [​IMG] from San Diego.

5. dylan729

Apr 5, 2012
    Castroville,TX
    All right ill wait like 10 to be safe. But thx for the help

6. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Yes, my guinea does great on my chickens layer feed.

7. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Layer feed (with 16% protein in it minimum) starting at 12 weeks is recommended, (this is also fine for adult Guineas, year round), Before that age they should still be on a grower feed with around 20% protein because they are still growing and feathering in with adult feathers. They still need the extra protein and amino acids.

Scratch grains should be given only as a treat (it's all carbs/sugar and fat, usually less than 10% protein in it... AKA junkfood).

ETA... My reply was mostly aimed at the original OP's question, but I should also add that newly hatched keets from 0-6 weeks do best on high protein Game bird, Turkey or Pheasant starter feed, (around 28% is optimal for fast growth and feathering), medicated with Amprolium.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. dylan729

Apr 5, 2012
    Castroville,TX
    Alrighty then 12 weeks, thx to everyone who replied ur advice is very helpful.

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Great, thanks! I was wondering this myself.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by