Can guineas live in the same pen as chickens?

Desirai

Songster
11 Years
Oct 12, 2011
Alabama
I have 12 chickens living in an 8x6 coop with an attached run of 22ft x 22ft.

I really would like some guineas mostly for tick control and because they're hilarious to watch.

Could they stay in the same coop/run as the chickens or would I have to build them their own house?

I have 12 chickens living in an 8x6 coop with an attached run of 22ft x 22ft.

I really would like some guineas mostly for tick control and because they're hilarious to watch.

Could they stay in the same coop/run as the chickens or would I have to build them their own house?

Hey there Desirai!
Getting Guineas is a wonderful idea for most, especially since you already have the chickens. I love my lil guineas (I have 4 & will be letting them expand their little flock once they start laying.) The area that you have set up will should be fine for adding too. How many were you thinking of getting? As for the coop, I would probably give them their own little set up as when they grow up space will start getting a bit crowded with the chickens.
For the guineas you will want to get them as young as possible, to have the easiest way of taming/training/routine. Once they are ready be without a heat lamp you will want to keep them enclosed something you can have out in the chicken run, do this for at least a week(some people like to do this for 6wks, I caved after 1 wk
hu.gif
) doing this will help establish that that is their home and it's safe. Also put a mirror in front of their roosting pole, they love their reflections(mine love it)
My guineas are doing very well in the fowl yard, with the ducks, chickens & rabbits, and have only gotten over the fence once each & freaked out that they weren't inside! Once they have a routine set up & go to roost before night fall you could always try free range to get the full 'tick clearing' effect.

I know I went a little off topic, I just love my guineas and it's exciting when others want to join in the guinea fun!
wee.gif

How many were you thinking of getting and what kind?

Back
Top Bottom