Can Hawk attacks be prevented??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by guineahen14, Jan 14, 2011.

1. guineahen14

guineahen14 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Shelbyville Tn
    Is there any type of poultry that would fight off a hawk that I could purchase and put in with my chickens?

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:A good rooster should keep his girls relatively safe. He can try and fight off a hawk but it's not exactly a fair fight.

The truth is that if you free-range your chickens, there is always the risk of loss to predators (she says from recent experience). It's just a risk you take.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Throughout almost all of 40 Bazillion a Hawk killed my chickens threads I tend to think no not really, you may have a rooster that will make a comotion long enough for the hens to run to safety, but not often. The hawks are smart and they wait for the right opportunity, I don't free range at all, wish I could but Ya'll free rangers lose way to many birds for my taste and I don't own cheapo hatchery birds so I can't really see any benifit to killing good birds.
    Now some folks will come and say OHHHH yeah hang some CD's or blow up owl balloons or something redicules like that but nothing really works.

AL

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:THANK YOU!!! for saying that about the pie tins and dangling CDs!!!!The only thing they are good for is for the hawk to see his reflection in as he cleans his face off after a fine chicken dinner at your espense. Drives me crazy that people put faith in that to deter hawk attacks. They are WAY too smart for that to deter them for very long. If you have a drop in attacks after hanging them you can bet its because your hawk migrated to another area but another one will soon take its place. If you have a determined hawk in the area, there is nothing that you can do to keep them safe from them except keeping your birds in covered runs.

Hawks were a thorn in my back side for years until I finally broke down and put them in covered runs. After a couple hawk attacks with me standing only twenty feet away I decided there is nothing that they are afraid of and put a top on the run. I haven't lost a bird to any predators since. 1 plus year and counting....good luck to you!

5. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:THANK YOU!!! for saying that about the pie tins and dangling CDs!!!!The only thing they are good for is for the hawk to see his reflection in as he cleans his face off after a fine chicken dinner at your espense. Drives me crazy that people put faith in that to deter hawk attacks. They are WAY too smart for that to deter them for very long. If you have a drop in attacks after hanging them you can bet its because your hawk migrated to another area but another one will soon take its place. If you have a determined hawk in the area, there is nothing that you can do to keep them safe from them except keeping your birds in covered runs.

Hawks were a thorn in my back side for years until I finally broke down and put them in covered runs. After a couple hawk attacks with me standing only twenty feet away I decided there is nothing that they are afraid of and put a top on the run. I haven't lost a bird to any predators since. 1 plus year and counting....good luck to you!

LOL Yeah you were smart to do that indeed, It's ashamed that more people don't realize this or who really just don't care which is what I tend to believe. A hawk tried to swoop in and grab my DW little Taco dog while I was 10' away in the yard, so ya think silly little shiney ornaments will keep them away LOL. My really big problem is that something like less than 1% of those who free range will never change and would much rather except the losses than protect them.

AL

7. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I freeranged my birds for 2 1/2 years without 1 single loss. I care deeply about my birds, and I would rather them be safe. But what if the cannibalism problem starts again? I would rather them be happy when they die, then for them to peck each other to death.

I've heard great things about hen aprons. The hawks go in for an attack, and try to grab one to carry off but cant grasp the bird for the apron. But I don't know from experience.

Having a roo is another thing you could do. Some roos are better flock protectors than others. I've heard mixed reports of roos actually fighting the hawk to them just making a commotion and getting the girls to safety.

The poultry nets are another thing. My main run is completely closed, with metal wire on all sides - but I'm thinking of building a "free range area" with the top made out of the poultry net.

Having other birds, bigger than the hawks, will deter them. When the vultures and the owl were here, the hawks wouldn't come near this place. They left not too long ago and I lost my first bird yesterday to a hawk.

I have no faith in CDs or fishing line. Some say the plastic owls work, but I only have a blow-up one and it wasn't in plain sight.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  8. BlakesFarm

BlakesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Upstate SC
    Guinea fowl can prevent and warn your chickens (and you) when a hawk is near. ...Or for that matter any preditor.

9. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Peacocks are good to sound the alarm as well, once you become familiar with their calls, you will know when danger is near...They run just like the chickens do though, even if it's a small hawk my peacocks take off but the sounds of it all lets me know there's a hawk in the area.

10. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    We have many hawks, Eagles & vultures here.They are so brave they come out and circle overhead for the short period of time it takes to walk my chicks from their pen to the coop in the garage. The buzzards don't even move off carcases in the road when u drive by. Keep em covered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by