Can he be alone?

ashlierami

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 9, 2017
Alabama
I recently posted about my female quail being sick. She passed a few minutes ago. Im left with her mate. Can he be kept alone for the remainder of his life? I assume he knows she's gone. Usuallly he crows for her but hes silent. He stood staring at her body for awhile before I took her out . He is 3 years old. All my other quail have died off. I didn't want to get more unless necessary. Id like to take a break from quail or try a different bird out. It's so heart breaking when they pass and their lifespan is so short.

I decided to get my male some company after all. He is still healthy ,acting normal so whatever my female had wasn't contagious or he just got lucky. He's going through his molt currently but other than that he's been the same. I'll include a pic of his new company below
IMG_20190904_225810802.jpg

Several years ago our cat brought in a newly hatched baby quail. It was not injured and we set up a 10 gal aquarium for her. We babied her and she was a total pet. She would lay down in your lap and go to sleep. We named her Gizmo. I built an outside pen for her and she lived the 'life of Riley' for years. She was so incredibly tame. A male started coming and setting by her cage every morning. I left her door open because I knew she wouldn't leave. He would spend the day with her and leave about dusk. One day she did leave with him. I was happy because I thought ok they will go off and have a family and live happily ever after. On the third day I heard her calling from the backyard. My daughter walked out and Gizmo flew right to her. We put her in her cage and she ate for hours. I don't think she figured out how to make it on her own. Don't know what happened to Romeo...maybe he ran off with someone else.
Gizmo never left again and lived with us for about 6 years. She had the best life ever. We still miss her!
So in my opinion, they can live alone and do quite well.

Several years ago our cat brought in a newly hatched baby quail. It was not injured and we set up a 10 gal aquarium for her. We babied her and she was a total pet. She would lay down in your lap and go to sleep. We named her Gizmo. I built an outside pen for her and she lived the 'life of Riley' for years. She was so incredibly tame. A male started coming and setting by her cage every morning. I left her door open because I knew she wouldn't leave. He would spend the day with her and leave about dusk. One day she did leave with him. I was happy because I thought ok they will go off and have a family and live happily ever after. On the third day I heard her calling from the backyard. My daughter walked out and Gizmo flew right to her. We put her in her cage and she ate for hours. I don't think she figured out how to make it on her own. Don't know what happened to Romeo...maybe he ran off with someone else.
Gizmo never left again and lived with us for about 6 years. She had the best life ever. We still miss her!
:clap:thumbsup:wee:woot:) :D :frow:jumpy:hugsadorable

They can be kept as singles but do much better when with others.
Sorry to hear of your loss. :hit
I will probably keep him as a single for now . If he does become Ill I would hate to have a new female become alone if something happens to him so soon.

That is such a beautiful thing. I've had my current quail since he was 3 weeks old. He's 3 years. His name is cricket. He used to chirp all night because at the time he was the only baby quail I had and he was by himself. I've never had a quail alone. Fully. My first quail was with his mate until she flew away one day and he was injured so I nursed him and he was so trained and gentle but he only stayed with me about a year before he died. Then I had 2 males they got along. One was more take but when one died I got the male left some company the next day. That male was junior he lived to be 6 years he was Texas am. Then he died and slowly the company I had gotten for him died off to. Cricket is what's left. He's gentle but doesn't like to be held. He's a Tibetan I believe. I just don't want him to feel sad since his mate died. I been handling him and sitting with him so he's not lonely. I know if I get another mate for him it will start the cycle over of having quail alone or having to go through them dying off. If he gets to sad then I'll consider finding him a mate.

Gizmo was a California Valley quail.
We sure do get attached to these little guys don't we.
I would love to see Cricket.
You are wonderful and caring for taking such good care of him!

Gizmo was a California Valley quail.
We sure do get attached to these little guys don't we.
I would love to see Cricket.
You are wonderful and caring for taking such good care of him!
I'm a bird lover! Here he is with his mate that recently passed.
IMG_20190403_160822331.jpg

Back
Top Bottom