Can he be saved?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedBrush Farm, Mar 6, 2012.

1. RedBrush Farm

RedBrush Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Missouri
    Best friend's boy has Old English Bantam that is like family. They literally are best buds. His younger brother and Banny Man do not get along and he has teased Banny until he runs at him and flogs him. This evening, when he ran at him, he got under his feet. Banny literally has was scalped from the back of his cone to the front of his nose. The top of his head was barely hanging on. He went into shock. Breathing but shaking all over and listless. I cleaned the wound and put antibiotic cream on it and sewed it back on. His head is badly swollen but when he is "awake" he holds it up and moves it around. There are no broken bones that we can find and his throat is clear and he is breathing fine. He does not want to stand. We mixed and are giving him poultry antibiotic in water. Is there anything else we can do? How much of the antibiotic water should we make sure he gets. (we are just putting drops in his mouth). What do we need to watch for? There is no vet in our area who will see birds. Should we give him some sort of antibiotic shot? Please respond. We need advice.
    Thanks in advance....

2. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    Jeez, that's tough. You seem to be doing all the right things. Only time will tell. Good luck!

3. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    First off...find a nice, warm, quiet place where he can recover. Try and get some water with electrolytes/vitamins into him. I think at this point, that might be more important than the antibiotics in his water. He needs to recover from the shock. Secondly, I would clean his wound and use neosporin without pain killer on the wound. Give him peace and quiet for most of the time...a darkened room would be nice. Treat him like an ICU...visitors only for a few minutes and only quietly. Give him drops of the vitamin water as often as you would think he would drink on his own and as much as you think he would take in at one sitting.

Good luck, I hope he pulls through...his little friend is counting on him!!!!

4. RedBrush Farm

Jun 12, 2011
    Missouri
    Thanks for the encouragement.... Adam would be lost without his Banny Man. His brother feels just horrible. It truly was an accident.

5. RedBrush Farm

Jun 12, 2011
    Missouri
    Update - Banny Man is still alive. He is standing but weak. He has eaten blueberries, mashed sweet potatoes and some chicken crumbles. He does not want to drink. He will take his antibiotic with a syringe. His head is swollen but can see out of one eye. He is in a darkened room and he is only bothered every two hours to be fed and watered. I am hoping he now has a least a 50/50 chance. Thanks for the advice.

6. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Send his boy hugs...He must be devastated! [​IMG]

7. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    If you can keep him calm and hydrated, I think he has an excellent chance!!!! Keep up the good work :)

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

You may want to add an antibiotic like penicillin or amoxicillin etc. keep up the vitamins. Try giving warm scrambled eggs. I like using baby parrot hand feeding formula. It has lots of good stuff in it and always use it on any injured bird. Keep him warm, even with a low heat lamp, keep him quiet and drinking.

9. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    How is he today?

10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    The antibiotic of choice for wounds is PenG, available at your local ag store. Syringes are also available to inject it. Antibiotics by mouth don't do much for wounds.

Glad to hear he is doing well.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by