1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can heat cause hens to stop laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tlmancuso, Aug 25, 2016.

1. tlmancuso

tlmancuso Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2016
    We recently went through a heat wave. Almost a week above 100! I have noticed a couple of my hens have stopped laying. One hen had just recently started laying and no eggs for over a week. Could this be caused by the high temps?

2. harmesonfarm

harmesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC
    yes i believe so.
    we just received a heat increase ourselves, to 31C (88F) (this is very hot for where i am, we are usually in the mid 20sC) and our hens had been laying all consistently 6-7 eggs a day and for the two very hot days we had we were only getting 3 eggs from them. We have 7 pullets.

Their systems can get stressed and eggs take up a lot of water (they are mostly water) to make, so if the hen is too hot and is not drinking enough (they won't drink their water if it's hot / very warm) then they will not have enough to spare to produce eggs.

I change the water twice, once in the morning and once in the afternoon and supply them with two. since doing that i get 5-6 eggs on the heat waves.

3. tlmancuso

tlmancuso Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2016
    Yeah. That must be what's going on because there are at least 3 who have really slowed down. One day was 108 which must have been brutal! I was gone all week and not changing out the water so that probably had a lot to do with it as well. At least they made it through and all seem very happy as usual :)

4. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Yes.
    What breeds do you have? If this is "normal" every summer, you might want to look at heat tolerant breeds.

5. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

At 100- 108*, your birds could become very sick and/or die.
    They need fresh water several times per day as well as shade, misters and fans.
    Treats like fruits and veggies frozen in a bowl of water are a good idea as well, as they drink the water to get to the food.
    Also, please note that bacteria grows rapidly in stagnant water and will sicken otherwise healthy birds.
    Yes, heat will cause a drop in egg production but keeping them cool and well hydrated goes a long way.
    Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by