Can heat cause soft shelled eggs? Or is it lack of calcium?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by umanduhbree, Sep 1, 2011.

1. umanduhbree

umanduhbree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Lacona, IA
    My hens started laying two weeks ago, and today was the first day we found 2 soft shelled eggs. Since they started laying, today was the first day that it was over 100 degrees. I didn't know if the heat could stress the hens out enough to produce soft eggs. I thought, if anything, they would not lay today. Or is that just a factor? We haven't been feeding the girls oyster shell. Our feed has added calcium and the mill hasn't had any complaints on this mixture, it's Blue Stem Organic Premium LAyer.

Am I freaking out a little early? We did get two regular eggs today with the soft ones. Do I need to wait until this happens again to worry? Or should I supplement with oyster shell just incase.

2. trainman638

trainman638 New Egg

Sep 1, 2011
    When my RIRs started laying, wee had one egg that was covered in "skin" instead of shell. It was totally gross feeling. I added oyster shell (calcium) to the feed and haven't had another one. Good luck!

3. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    I do think the heat is a factor, but it is probably just one of the quirks of a new layer. Our Golden Comet started laying when it was cooler, then about a week later the temperatures soared back into the high 90's. We had two eggs in a row that were not normal. Since then, she has been laying perfect eggs, even today when it was 95.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by