Can heat cause soft shelled eggs? Or is it lack of calcium?

umanduhbree

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
Lacona, IA
My hens started laying two weeks ago, and today was the first day we found 2 soft shelled eggs. Since they started laying, today was the first day that it was over 100 degrees. I didn't know if the heat could stress the hens out enough to produce soft eggs. I thought, if anything, they would not lay today. Or is that just a factor? We haven't been feeding the girls oyster shell. Our feed has added calcium and the mill hasn't had any complaints on this mixture, it's Blue Stem Organic Premium LAyer.

Am I freaking out a little early? We did get two regular eggs today with the soft ones. Do I need to wait until this happens again to worry? Or should I supplement with oyster shell just incase.

When my RIRs started laying, wee had one egg that was covered in "skin" instead of shell. It was totally gross feeling. I added oyster shell (calcium) to the feed and haven't had another one. Good luck!

I do think the heat is a factor, but it is probably just one of the quirks of a new layer. Our Golden Comet started laying when it was cooler, then about a week later the temperatures soared back into the high 90's. We had two eggs in a row that were not normal. Since then, she has been laying perfect eggs, even today when it was 95.

Back
Top Bottom