1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can hens be jealous?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alejaredden, Aug 2, 2014.

1. alejaredden

alejaredden Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2013
    I have one Buff Orpington and three araucanas in my flock. The three smaller araucanas seem to be jealous when I pay any kind of attention to my Buff. I feel bad for her, she even has a little ring around her head where I have noticed that one of the more aggressive hens sits on her back and pecks at her. Today, I was rubbing her while squatting low and one of the other girls came right up and pecked her right in the head... She gave a little bawk, but overall is just so passive. What can I do if they are really ganging up on her? :(

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    How old are these birds and can you tell us a bit about how they are being kept (size of coop, size of run, free range, etc)

3. alejaredden

alejaredden Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2013
    They are in the coop at night which stays open and are free to range all day. So they aren't being cooped up. They are about 15 months old. All came from the same hatched tray and have been together since the beginning. I raised them to be spoiled and they are pretty attached to me. They were my babies and still are. All have great personalities, just the Buff is quite a softie. Which is surprising because she towers the other gals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by